An Open Letter To Sophomore FFA Members

An Open Letter To Sophomore FFA Members

Learn how to turn that awkward second year into the leadership experience of a lifetime.

32
An Open Letter To Sophomore FFA Members
Julia Knaggs

So, you've just finished your first year of high school and your first year as an active FFA member. You've memorized the FFA Creed, earned your Greenhand degree, and learned as much FFA trivia as you thought you could ever handle. Finally you're moving up in the world of FFA -- but now what?

Sophomore year of high school is often referred to as an awkward in-between year -- mostly because it often is. You're not just starting out, but you're not anywhere close to graduating either. When it comes to sophomore year in FFA, your days of creed speaking and dreaming about being Star Greenhand are over, but you don't know if you're quite ready to write a state-winning speech or participate in a number of other activities that are often reserved for upperclassmen. In short, everything is possible but you have no idea where to start.

As daunting as this all may seem, here's a some tips to make the most of your next year in FFA:

1. See this new year as a clean slate

Whether or not you won a Career Development Event last year, you're back on the same even playing field as everyone else. Don't let last year's wins lead you to believe that everything will be just as smooth, and don't let last year's losses lead you to believe that you're not capable of being successful. Set new goals for yourself in this next year, and don't be afraid to ask others for help.

2. Try something you're not ready for

Speaking of "don't be afraid," try taking a big 'ol step out of your comfort zone and doing something that scares you. Never done Extemporaneous Speaking before but always wanted to try it? Lived in a subdivision your whole life with one dog and zero cows but wanting to try Livestock Judging? Ask your advisor about stepping up for new opportunities in your chapter. Sometimes this even includes being "voluntold" -- aka being forcibly told by your advisor that you're now volunteering to do a certain task. However, what may seem scary in the moment may lead to more experience and better opportunities in the future. And, hey, maybe you'll even find that you're much more prepared than you thought before.

3. Become a mentor

Remember the first older member who reached out to you and encouraged you to participate in FFA? That person was once in the exact same spot you are now. Use this next year to truly learn how to serve others. In fact, even the smallest act of kindness you can pass on to a freshman member may resonate in their mind for years to come. You don't have to have your entire life together to be a positive role model for younger members; all you have to do is lend open ears and an open mind, and soon you can help new members see the potential in themselves the exact same way you did just one year ago.

4. Don't rely on comparison as a gauge for your own success

Ever heard the quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy"? Well, it's 100 percent true -- especially in FFA. This rings true whether you're comparing yourself to a successful upperclassmen or even another second year member like yourself who already seems to have it all figured out. We're all lucky enough to have our own unique journey in FFA. Sometimes the progress within that journey is so slow we can barely even sense it, but nonetheless you are on your way to becoming a better leader. Focus instead on your own growth and the growth of the people and the community that you're able to serve.

5. Learn to love all of the ups, downs, and everywhere in between

This tip isn't just applicable to sophomore FFA members; it's important to both those members who are younger and those who are older as well. In a world where everything is go, go, go and exchanges of communication or information happen in an instant, it can be difficult to find a sense of patience and balance. I know that I'm personally guilty of wishing away the days to get to the next high point of my FFA experience. However, we're only lucky enough to get four years as a high school FFA member -- some even less. This equates to about 1,460 days in the blue jacket. Not all of these 1,460 days will be filled with excitement, pins, or plaques. Some days will be filled with letdowns, boredom, and frustration. The amazing thing about this is that the good days, the bad days, and the "meh" days are needed to shape you into the leader you are meant to be. Learn to take each moment for what it is and understand the lesson it was meant to teach you. Never forget the reason why you zip up that blue jacket every year, your love for agriculture, or the FFA family who surrounds you and encourages you in your journey to serve others.

Take a deep breath. You're one year down and only a few more to go. Don't see sophomore year as the awkward in-between; see it as a year of growth and learning. Take your time, try new things, and don't forget to tend to the other aspects of your life as well. There was a life before your involvement FFA and there will be a life after. Be grateful for the opportunities you have now and make the most of your next three years before you hang up the blue jacket for good.