Dear Selena Gomez...

Dear Selena Gomez...

You do not represent me.

101
Dear Selena Gomez...
GotCeleb

Last Monday, I, and the rest of Twitter, had an extremely busy night. First, we HAD to attend the #KimExposesTaylorParty, where we got a clear look at the characters of everyone involved. But right when that event was wrapping up, the #SelenaGomezIsOverParty began. Essentially, Selena became a topic of discussion when she tweeted, "There are more important things to talk about...why can't people use their voice for something that fucking matters?"

When asked why she doesn't speak about topics that matter like the prevalence of police brutality cases, mass shootings, and the #BlackLivesMatter movement, she went on to say, and later delete, "Oh lol so that mean's if I hashtag something I save lives? No--I could give two fucks about 'sides'. You don't know what I do."

First off, for someone who begs for people with a voice to use it for more important things, you surely haven't been practicing that given the recent headlines, Selena. However, the one time you decide to speak up is when your friend is getting exposed...so that's more important than what's been in the news lately? Many have brought up, and I agree, that when the Orlando shooting occurred, you were not there to help us Latinos cope with such a devastating loss to our community. In fact, the only thing I know of that you have done for the Latino community is your Pantene commercial in Spanish and the cover of Latina magazine. We never appointed you to be our representative, so it's not that you are letting us down in that respect. But for you to suggest that other celebrities should use their voices for something much larger than some beef between two people is kind of hypocritical considering you don't necessarily do the same.

I'm aware of your charity work and other charitable events you've taken part in. However, when it comes to our Latino community that is relatively underrepresented in the media, you're not there for us. To be Latina does not mean that you simply have roots in Latin America, it means that you are a member of a community much larger than yourself. It means that you are a minority in a society that tries to hold you down, but you succeed. It means that you have a duty to your people, especially with such a powerful presence, to make sure we feel safe and unified. No, a hashtag posted by you might not save a tremendous amount of lives, but it could save at least one. Whether or not you see it, you have tremendous pull in the media. You are an idol to many, Latino or not, and if you highlight that there is a discussion to be had about the many tragedies in the news, people will listen. But you haven't done that for any of the historic news that has been in the headlines lately. The Orlando shooting was probably one of the first terror attacks that dramatically affected a primarily Latino community, whether or not it was intended, and you said nothing. You preach kindness all the time, but when it is most vital, you are nowhere to be found.

My message to you is not that you have let us down as a Latina celebrity. You've done a considerable amount of work to show how powerful a Latina woman can be in this society. The people getting upset that you do not speak on issues prevalent in the Latino community are justified, however, we get that you are not our spokesperson. My message to you is that before you go calling celebrities out for not using their voices efficiently, make sure you do not fit in the same category. Consider helping the community that welcomes you with such warm arms, only to have you say that whatever you post can't affect lives. By no means am I suggesting that Kim and Kanye were right in leaking Taylor's phone conversation, that is entirely separate story. My point is that you need to understand how far and loud your voice resonates with youth across the world. If you don't use it to highlight the issues that will affect our future generations, then you are doing a disservice to all of us, Latina or not.