An Open Letter To People Who Don't Tip Their Delivery Drivers

Stop being so cheap. We're people too.

2189
Drum Beat Marketing

Dear people who don’t tip their delivery drivers,

You probably read the title of this article and rolled your eyes. What could these puny, unimportant delivery drivers be complaining about? Other people tip them, so why do I have to? Maybe you think drivers don't deserve an extra dollar or two. Maybe you think you don't have any extra money to spare. I guess I don't think these things because I've been a delivery driver, and I currently am one now. But maybe you can let go of your personal feelings just for the next couple paragraphs, and take a walk in the delivery driver's shoes. Can you do that?

Let's use a little common sense here. No, we don't use a company car. We use our own car and our own gas to bring you your beloved meal. No, our hourly pay is not enough to cover gas, rent, bills, food and every other expense we may have. I can't even guarantee you that most delivery drivers make minimum wage. YES, a couple extra bucks does help out. You may be thinking that giving me even one extra dollar won't make a difference in my day. Can you imagine delivering to five people in a row who all think that way? Can you picture yourself driving around town like a crazy person with three or four different orders only to be greeted with a disrespectful, deliberate "zero" in the gratuity section of the receipt?

I seriously question what goes through someone's mind when I'm asked to run back to my car to grab three quarters and a nickel for change. I promise you won't miss that money, but I will.

However, it's not all about the money, I must admit. At the end of the day, peoples' kindness and generosity have affected me the most. There are people who have tipped me well over 50 percent. There are people who don't ask for change. There are people who are kind and thank me for my service, as small and unimportant as it may seem. I think everyone can agree that the part time jobs you have while in school or trying to get back on your feet are still worthy of your effort and care. If you encounter someone with one of those jobs, you should still treat them with respect. Tip them, dammit.

So here's the thing, boys and girls, moms and dads, college students and people with "real" jobs: Don't order a sandwich, pizza or whatever else if you can't afford to be generous to your driver. You're the one who doesn't feel like getting into your own car and getting your own food. You're the one who forgot to do groceries that week. You're the one who asked for a side of this, that and the other, light ice and your sandwich made with extra everything. Remember: we're the ones who deliver that all to you.

Sincerely,

Your friendly neighborhood delivery driver