An Open Letter To Non-STEM Students At STEM-Based Schools

You are valid and you deserve to be heard.

79
The Huffington Post

So, you decided to attend a school that revolves around the STEM program. You were probably boasted about by family members that you're attending such a large, prestigious school (even if it's really an exaggeration and we're not all Ivy-League students), and we were somewhat uplifted knowing that we're going to be the top of the top.

That is until you get there.

At school, you feel a bit out of place, like an outsider. You stick out like a sore thumb when you take your seat in Stats, or maybe you feel a daunting aura when you accidentally stumble into the Engineering II building on your way to Sociology. Your friends, all STEM majors, chit chat about obnoxious Chem TA's and the answers to the Bio I homework, all as you quietly sit and attempt to insert yourself into the conversation somewhere. You become an outcast, and you begin to question whether you're making the right life choices and if it'll even be worth it in the end.

I, myself, have experienced all of these emotions and situations, and I first want to let you know that it is okay to experience these emotions and situations, too. This merely means that, while you may feel like an intruder to a STEM friend group, you'll always be welcomed here, in this smaller, yet close-knit circle of non-STEM majors. So, welcome to the club.

Now, although the STEM program encompasses a vast array of majors (and, in turn, careers), there is a multitude of majors and careers evolving from non-STEM majors. You've probably heard from time to time that, frankly, if you're not a STEM major that you're not important, or that your major doesn't matter. Yes, you may not find the cure to cancer or build the first flying car, but your future is just as bright and valid. You could teach the next child prodigy, you could photograph never-before-seen footage of the bottom of the ocean, you could start the next big business to dominate the stock market, or you could even open a successful day care.

The possibilities are endless, and sure, they may not be deemed "important" by society's standards, but let's face it: society would be nowhere without us. Who's going to prepare the food for the next STEM-related banquet? Who's going to create the laws that STEM majors will have to abide by when dealing with public policy? Who's going to interpret for government officials about STEM topics in other languages? Who's going to create the music STEM majors will be blasting on their radios? That's right, we will.

Although many STEM majors are passionate about their fields of interest, it has been noted that just as many are not. Whether this societal pressure to study a STEM subject or pressure from parents may be the reason, many (of course, not all) are in the STEM field for the extra benefits. These benefits include higher salaries, special connections, and even access to better resources and job opportunities. Like I said, reasons for students studying STEM fields vary from student to student, and in no way are only focused on the latter factors only, nor is it necessarily a terrible thing either. However, it is important to note that most non-STEM majors are studying what they're truly passionate about, because, let's face it, students aren't studying to become teachers for the $50,000 salary and students aren't planning to become authors with any ridiculous ideas of hundreds of publishers wanting their work fresh out of college. We have it just as difficult as STEM majors but in our own personal ways.

Truthfully, I'm not announcing that non-STEM majors are any better than STEM majors, nor am I making any false claims that only non-STEM majors are happy or valid. We aren't special snowflakes, guys. My point is that every major is equally as important. Society functions in a way where we all must rely on one another in multiple areas of our lives.

We aren't just defaults and dropouts like media outlets may portray us as. Think of us non-STEM majors as Santa's elves. We perform most of the behind-the-scenes work for Christmas, and Santa is the focal point. Santa has a tremendous job of delivering billions of presents to good boys and girls all around the world overnight, which is a miracle within itself. Though, us elves equally work as hard to create these billions of presents for Santa to distribute, working hand-in-hand with Santa to create the best Christmas ever. We would not be able to make more presents without Santa's visiting, list-checking, and delivering, and Santa would not have any presents to distribute without us. Thus, our careers are just as vital in the real world as STEM careers, and neither could function without the other.

Never pity yourself because you aren't a STEM major. Never allow yourself to feel any less valid or question your worth because your class schedule looks drastically different from your friends'. Never accept the ignorance of others, for their children could be your students in the future, or they may need you to file their taxes one day. And please, never feel like you're alone because we all know how it feels to be that untapped potential of uniqueness. You are a non-STEM major, and you are valid.