An Open Letter To My Summer Romance

An Open Letter To My Summer Romance

188
An Open Letter To My Summer Romance

To my summer boyfriend,

We started out as friends. You were always there for me when I needed to get out of my house or when I was too stressed to think. We'd meet in a nearby park and throw a Frisbee around until the sun had long disappeared behind the hills. But, then we went hiking and everything changed. We came to a clearing on the mountain where we could look out over a beautiful view when you turned, wrapped your arm around my back and kissed me.

From that point on we were inseparable. I wanted you to experience the world with me and all it had to offer. Everything was an adventure. You took me on a picnic by a lake on a beautiful windy day. We went out for dinner in the city and stumbled upon a concert in the park. One night you swung me over your shoulder and threw me into your pool. My favorite memory by far is watching the meteor shower with you from the back of your dad's truck. Each day was wonderfully spontaneous and overall magical.

But our summer together came to a very hasty close. We tried to stay together during school, but that only lasted a week. You drove up to my school the Sunday before labor day to break up with me. I just can't help but wonder what was going on in your head that day.

What's going on in your head now? Do you miss me? Do you just miss the classic rock we sang together with all the windows rolled down? Do you miss the relationship we had or just the way I looked at you? Either way, you gave me an incredible time that I could never repeat. You taught me to cherish the memories as much as the warmth of the season and the later sunsets.

I know you loved me, even though you never said you did. I could see it in your eyes when you looked at me or in your smile whenever I looked at you.

Of course, I hope you're doing well and you're happy with your life. I would give anything to repeat one of those wild summer days, but I know it's best to leave the past as a simple golden shimmer of a memory.

Sincerely,

Your summer girlfriend