An Open Letter To My Summer Internship

An Open Letter To My Summer Internship

Thanks for all that you taught me.

125
An Open Letter To My Summer Internship
pics on sizzle

Dear Summer Internship,

Of course, summer has flown by and I will be returning to the wonderful Camp Union shortly. I wanted to reflect on my time at my summer internship. I bitched and complained about going to work, which keep in mind was only Tuesday, Thursday. Most of us interns feel that we are wasting our time because we are doing stupid tasks and overall doing bitch work that no one else wants to do. We ask what's the point of an internship if we don't necessarily even do any of the work in the field. I, for sure, did not do anything that I thought was really worth my time; calling people from 9-5 wasn't ideal, but I now know I wouldn't want to be at a job where I was on the phone the whole day. After weeks at my internships I only now see why this internship was so important for me.

I came to the realization that it is not just the actual work we are doing during that internship that makes it important. The advice we are given during that summer in the office is what we must really grasp onto during our experience there. These people were just like us back in the day. They can give you advice that they have learned over the years in the field and you can learn from their mistakes and successes. There is so much we can learn if we just take the time to ask and truly listen. Even if you really don't care, just act like you do because they will be the ones giving out your recommendations, it is important to leave a on positive, lasting impression.

Another thing I learned at my internship this summer is the importance of a work environment.This summer, along with my internship, I worked part time as a receptionist at another finance companies in the city. The work environments where polar opposites. One was a small office where everyone was relaxed and happy to see each other and were genuinely happy to see you. While the other, I was so afraid to make a mistake because I felt like everyone had to watch their back. I then truly realized how important a work environment is and its effect on your happiness. If you really think about it we will be spending more time at work then we are at home.

Keeping that in mind, you truly need to consider what type of person and what you do and do not like. Do you like to interact with people or do you keep more to yourself? Do you enjoy being in a small office where you build closer relationships or do you prefer a corporate office where most people stay to themselves?

Sincerely,

Summer Intern