Intern Diaries: Having A Positive Attitude

Is your internship not what you thought it was going to be? This is for you.

7
USNEws

I had mixed feeling about school getting out. Yes, I was ready to drop my sophomore year workload, but no, I was not ready to start my internship. I was proud that I scored a marketing and event planning internship, but I was disappointed in myself for not being able to get a magazine internship like I wanted.

My displeasure only intensified while I was taught how to make coffee for when my supervisor requested it. Then I was told I would be stuffing envelopes the first couple of days of the internship. I began comparing this internship to the one I held last summer. Last summer, as an editorial intern for a small trade publication, I did not have to do get coffee or do what I thought was a mindless job. Right off the bat, I felt like a needed member of the team. I was producing stories, conducting interviews and having my work published.

The second week of my internship I was told what the envelopes for. The non-profit that I am interning for was planning a campaign celebration dinner and fundraising event. The envelopes I had been stuffing were to pass out, so attendees could donate or volunteer. In fact, the organization had had an ongoing campaign for a year and was determined to raise a certain amount of money to assist more families in need.

I felt really childish. I had sulked and complained to my parents. I felt embarrassed for how I acted and felt undeserving when my supervisor had me start working on bigger projects.

I'm sure like any other intern, I've heard of internship horror stories. You know, the ones where the intern always has to run out and get coffee or is stuck organizing a supply closet, only to get no real world experience out of it or fulfill any of their desired learning objectives. I was quick to judge my internship as one of those. However, much to my pleasure, I have been able to create centerpieces, gift card sets and name tags for that campaign dinner. Yet, I do realize that not everyone will be as fortunate, and you may be stuck in one of those internship horror story situations, and to that, here is my advice:

Everything has a reason. You and I may not see it at first, but your supervisor is asking you to complete that task for a certain reason. Asked to get coffee? Maybe your supervisor is stressed and they need a frappe from Starbucks to calm them down, or maybe they are really tired from doing overtime the night before on a huge proposal. Asked to set up the conference room? Maybe the firm is getting geared up for a big meeting that could score them big bucks in revenue, and you're the only one who is not working on the report.

Honestly, how you perceive your position and the experience you are getting out of your internship is based off of the attitude you hold throughout the duration of your time there. So you might be frustrated, you might be disappointed, but just try to have a good attitude about what you are doing because remember, they picked you for a reason.