An Open Letter To My High School Friends

A college student's reflection on the storm of life known as the teenage years.

62

To the people I knew in high school:

You probably would remember who I was when you heard my name. I was the band nerd who landed all the honor bands. I kicked ass in most, if not all of my classes. I was a quiz bowl rock star. Hell, I almost landed a spot on Jeopardy during my freshman year of high school. I was a rather spunky individual if you recall, and I had a horrible crush that spread to every corner of the school like wildfire.

Sometimes, I look back on my high school days, and I am not sure if I want to cringe, cry, laugh, or all three at the same time. I will never forget the elation of those Friday night lights even though we never won a game. I will always remember the joy of learning I successfully auditioned for an honor band or that we earned a superior rating at a competition. Even all these years later, I still feel the heat of embarrassment rise in my cheeks the moment my band director announced to everyone that I had a crush on a fellow member. Time has worn my memory of them over the years, but sometimes, I sit and wonder how they, along with everyone else I knew in high school, are faring in blazing their trails of life.

Yes, I was human, a teenager trying to navigate a maze of boys, cliques, and drama while seeking my place in the world. However, if you knew who I was in 2014-2015 as a freshman or sophomore in high school, I regret to inform you that you do not know who I am in 2020 as a senior in college. I still retain a few key characteristics of my high school years, such as a desire to befriend the lonely and make others laugh. My years of college, combined with a health scare and two major surgeries during my sophomore year of college, gave me a wake-up call that 15-year-old me would've left on snooze. I needed to take care of myself and focus on what was truly important: finishing school and establishing my niche in the ever-changing world. I've grown, wisened, and matured since high school, but this path was no bed of roses. Friends came and went, I had a change in my passions of life, and I have spent many sleepless nights reflecting on the past and how far I've come.

To the folks I knew in high school, more likely than not it has been many years since we last spoke or saw each other. However, that does not mean my memories of you are completely faded from my mind. God has people come and go into our lives for reasons that we may never know. If I was ever in your life, whether as a friend or otherwise, I hope I made a positive impact in shaping who you are now. To those who were present in my life for any reason, as a friend or otherwise, you are one of many pieces that forms who I am at my core: a follower of Christ who seeks to make positive impacts on the world. This is only the tip of the iceberg that forms my story of dealing with love, loss, and more. My inbox and phone are always open, and if you ever want to catch up over lunch or a cup of coffee, I am open to that. However, even if our paths never cross again, Godspeed to your pursuit of life, love, and happiness.