An Open Letter to My Future Sister-In-Law

I’ve never had a sister before, but I do have a big brother.

4502
Jamie Jacobsen

Dear Future Sister,

I’ve never had a sister before, but I do have a big brother. And he is one of the best blessings of my life. He is kind, smart, hardworking, has a great sense of humor, and when he smiles, the corners of his eyes crinkle behind his glasses. But you already know that, don’t you?

The summer after first grade, I learned how to ride my bike without training wheels. The love of your life was behind me, holding up my pink and purple bike until I was ready to pedal on my own. Then he chased me, laughing as I rode around in circles.

We took baths together as toddlers, your love and I. We watched Star Wars and Spongebob. We played with roly-polies in the sandbox, and with Beanie Babies in my Hello Kitty bedroom. We went on stakeouts in an attempt to catch Santa Claus.

We used to play Connect Four. He always won. We used to battle in Super Smash Brothers. He always won. We used to have contests to see who could swirl their soft-serve ice cream cones the highest. He always won. He was always striving, achieving, and succeeding. But let me tell you, if there was ever a Proud Sister Award, I’d win.

That’s the way it’s been our entire lives. We’ve always been best buddies. I missed him when he started making trips to overnight camp. I hated when he graduated eighth grade and started attending a different school than me. When he got his first girlfriend, I despised her openly. I was afraid that he would love her so much that he wouldn’t have any room in his life left for me.

He didn’t forget about me, though. Through fights with friends, family crises, and my first real heartbreaks, he never left. He stood there quietly, as in his nature, but I always knew that he was there, just like he’d aways been.

He moved 630 miles away for college. Every time he came home for break, I’d meet him at the airport. And every time he’d leave, I’d try to hug him goodbye without crying.

Even on these brief visits, I could hardly fail to notice that my brother had changed. His whole life had been changed because he’d met you.

At first, he told me that the two of you were just friends. I wasn’t fooled. I knew that he was head-over-heels. And after meeting you, I began to understand why.

I received the news that you were dating with immense satisfaction. I reacted to your engagement with screaming. A. Lot. Of. Screaming. In watching the progression of your relationship, I had fallen in love with you too.

I am more than excited for you to join our family. I simply adore you. Not only are you an amazing woman, you are an amazing match for my brother. I see the way he looks at you, and it gives me hope that one day, a man as great as my big brother will look at me that way too.

Not only do you make my brother happy, you also strive to get his soul to Heaven, which we both know is what true love is really about. (I thank you for that.) You work to serve Christ together, as every couple should, and that is awesome.

I know that my brother made the right choice, and I’m glad that he found the best of the best, just as he deserves. Like I once said, he found a diamond and put another on her finger.

You are the woman in his life now. (He doesn’t need me to help him shop for clothes anymore, *sniffle*.) I leave him to you with the full confidence that you will make him a better man. That the two of you will be more extraordinary together than apart.

I know that you will challenge him, love him, fight with him, laugh with him, care for him, make his favorite chicken pot pie, help him clean up after himself, and much more, for the rest of your lives.

He’s your best friend, but he was my best friend first, back when his favorite color was purple. You're getting a good one. I know you know that. So I’m begging you, sis, just make sure he gives me a call every once in a while. 😊

I look forward to your wedding (and a life with a sister, finally).

I love you,

Your Future Sister

(Jamie)