An Open Letter To My Big Sister

An Open Letter To My Big Sister

You can't get rid of them, am I right?

353
An Open Letter To My Big Sister
Christa Kopp

Sisters: the ones who can build us up and then tear us right back down if they want to. But that's what sisters do. They laugh and they fight and they gossip and they cry and they do everything in the world together—plus the things that you couldn't even do with the person you consider to be your best friend. Why? Because sisters can't get rid of each other if their relationship goes south for a while. The sister bond is tighter than any friendship because you both are each other's first best friends. When you're navigating the roughest seas in life, you can bet that your sister will be right there, too. Even when you're angry with one another, you wouldn't wish the worst on each other because you know it would hurt you, too.

My older sister is the epitome of what a sister should be. She is always just a text or call away, always up to hang out and do absolutely nothing, and always willing to lend an ear when I need to talk. Also, who else would go get Chick-fil-A lemonade with me at the most random times? She has always been fiercely protective of me (which truthfully got harder to deal with as I got older), but as time passed, my understanding of why she was like that made more sense to me.

I see people who don't have the same close relationship with their sister like I do, and it makes me sad. Having an older sister who is always looking out for you and trying to make sure no one ever hurts you is irreplaceable. Sure, you get really annoyed sometimes because dang—when will she ever leave you alone? But deep down inside, you knew that she was right about that guy who was a huge tool and definitely didn't deserve you. On the flip side, she knew when this guy was a good one and planned on keeping him around. Your older sister is hesitant and cautious because she loves you. She's not crazy.

While my relationship with my older sister is nowhere near perfect, I try my best to not take it for granted. I have always had a built-in best friend, and life truly would have been so different without her. We have been through more ups and downs than a lot of people, but, of course, it has only brought us closer together.

No matter how many times I made you cry by accidentally hurting you, you still loved me the same. Little sisters have to have some power, sometimes, right? But in all seriousness, older sisters love you more and will protect you because that is their nature and they will happily do it well until they die.

Of course, my older sister is the best of the best, though. Who else would have let me know when I finally started to grow boobs, or would have messaged those mean girls on MySpace for me, or wanted me to stand next to her on the biggest day of her life?

Dedicated to my forever BFF and my big sis, Melissa. Love you always.