An Open Letter To My Best Friend For 18 Years

Get you a best friend that puts up with for 18+ years.

5

Dear best friend,

First off, I wanna say thank you! Thank you for being your crazy, outgoing, fun self that I love so much. Thank you for making me laugh when I'm upset. Thank you for reminding me I'm better and deserve more than the boys who made me feel awful. Thank you for keeping me entertained and laughing for 18 years. It's crazy how it's been so long. You know how people sometimes say that a person has the fewest pictures with the people they like the most? That is 100% true for us. We have known each other for 18 years and only have a handful of photos. These photos capture great times that we have had, but there is also another saying that we should live in the present and not worry about trying to capture photos. And this is why we don't have many photos- whenever we are hanging out, it's always a good time and we don't feel the need to be distracted by our phones. This is truly one of the best feelings in the world and I would not take back any of the times we've seen each other, which is not often since we live far away from each other.

When my parents decided to move away from our neighborhood, I remember being devastated that we wouldn't be around the corner from each other anymore. But it all worked out, because eight years later, we're still best friends and I would not want it any other way. I think the reason why we get along so well is because our personalities fit so well together. You know I say this in a loving way but, you truly are the crazy friend. It's always been like a yin and yang thing between us where I'm the calm and timid one while you're off doing something crazy, but would make me laugh until my stomach hurts. I'm glad you're like this because if you weren't, I think we would get bored of each other. Even though we live far away from each other and go to schools in different states, I am grateful that we talk everyday and I at least get one crazy Snapchat from you that makes my day a whole lot better.

One thing that I love about our friendship is that even though we aren't as involved in each other's lives because we live far away and have different friend groups, this doesn't phase us. We do talk everyday, but it's not in depth because we save those conversations for when we're in person. Our friendship never falters because whenever we finally both have time to hang out, it seems like these has been no time lost, but at the same time, through all of this time lost, we tell each other everything that has happened. Our conversations are almost like therapy sessions and we both just vent and say whatever we feel, and for that, I am thankful for. I am also grateful for you because you let me be myself, you don't judge. I know that we will be friends for a long time since we've been able to stand each other for 18 years. I could not have asked for a more caring, funny, crazy, beautiful best friend!