An Open Letter to My Awesome Step Dad

An Open Letter to My Awesome Step Dad

I have been blessed with such an amzing step-dad, I am forever grateful for such a strong male role model in my life.

38
An Open Letter to My Awesome Step Dad
Personal Picture

One of the best days of my life, I watched you wait down the aisle for my mom. I watched a tear fall down your face as you watched her walk towards you with her beautiful smile displayed loudly. When she got to you, I watched you say, "I do," and at that moment, you became her person, officially.

Before you, we were happy, but in a different way. Our mom was both our mother and our father; she worked diligently to be both roles. We were not rich in wealth, but we were rich in love. We lived happily just the three of us, although we had not considered the option of adding more to our family. When my brother and I first met you and your kids, we all clicked instantly. We quickly became a family although we had not thought we would ever actually be one. When you were with my mom she was whole again, and I knew you were the one.

As I am writing this, so many different reasons why I love you fill my mind. The big things that you have done for us and even the little things that you do daily, all mean so much. I know how much you love my mom, and I am thankful for that every day. I can never eat microwaved popcorn anymore, because having the luxury of a dad that hand pops corn really does a number on ones popcorn appetite. I laugh every time I watch you pat the dog with an open hand. An actual pat on the top of the head. But, I also smile when you come home from the store with a big bone for her.

The past however many years, our family has been through ups and downs, just like any other family. The only difference is, we have you as our rock. You are the foundation of our family, and you are also the glue that holds us all together. Although two out of the five kids are in college, we still continue traditions that we started when we first became a family. When we are all home, we eat at the table specially made for seven people. We all play cards, watch movies, and just hangout all together. We are all family first and friends second.

Before I met you, I could have never imagined my three person family turning into a family of seven. I would have never guessed that we would be the family that takes up a whole pew at church. I mean, we have enough people in our family to play a game a whiffle ball in our yard and we have to take two cars where ever we go. We are our own party and I wouldn't change it for anything.

It isn't easy for anyone to step up to the role of becoming a step parent, especially not to teenaged children. However, you're so much more than a step-dad to me. You are my dad. Maybe not by birth, but you are everything and more that I could ever want in a dad.