An open letter to mom and dad on my "gotcha" day

Thank you. I love you.

52

Nine years ago today, I officially became a Whiteley and I couldn't be prouder to have that last name. You two have given me more than I could ever wish for or imagine. You're my biggest supporters and my best friends. I don't say it enough, but thank you. Thank you for saying yes to me when it could have been easier to say no. Thank you for saying yes even though you didn't know what that would look like. Thank you for saying yes to a little two pound baby who required a lot of attention. Thank you for saying yes to going through the process of changing my last name to match y'all's, even though I was already your child. I'll say it over and over again, thank you.

Thank you for the memories that I will always have with my sweet family. From the times that we would all go out for milkshakes after dinner to driving around to see Christmas lights. Thank you. Thank you for being a safe place. A place where it's ok to laugh and cry. A place that you would laugh and cry with me. A place that I know will always be there, no matter the situation. Thank you. Thank you for being the greatest role models. The ones that always exemplify doing the right thing, and always expects it out of me. The ones that are always genuinely good people. The ones that love with their whole hearts. Thank you.

Thank you for giving me the absolute best life. The one where I'm surrounded by so many people who care for me. The one where I never had to question if I was wanted or appreciated. The one that brought and still brings so much happiness and love. The one that gave me two sisters that double as friends. The one that has provided me and still provides me with so many opportunities. From traveling around the country for fun trips, to being able to go to school to work towards my dream career. The life that is crazy and busy and messy, but I wouldn't trade for the world. Thank you.

And most importantly, thank you for teaching me about Jesus. For teaching me about his love and grace. For teaching me that in Him, there is true freedom. That as long as I have him, I have all that I need. For teaching me what a relationship centered around Christ is like. It's being understanding. It's working through it when times get tough, because it's life, and it gets hard. It's still having Saturday morning breakfast dates after 32 years of marriage. It's working together. It's praying for and with each other. Thank you.

I know I've been a part of your family my whole life, but these nine years have been so special to me. And even though writing this and publishing this is way out of my comfort zone, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Forever and always, thank you.

I love you.