An Open Letter To Anyone Who Hates The Odyssey Online

I can' change your opinion, but I hope you'll listen to mine.

127
the odyssey

There are so many people that openly hate The Odyssey. People say that it's a ridiculous website that gives too many people a platform to say whatever they want. There are articles on this website that are anti-feminist, racist, pro-Trump, etc, but that doesn't mean that the entire website needs to be shut down. After all, just because one person is racist, a Trump supporter, or anti-feminism, doesn't mean that all people are. For someone to claim that this website is racist, sexist, or whatever else, is too general.

There are plenty of articles on here that shut down those ideas, that are literally going against what fellow writers are saying. For anyone who hates this website, let me explain some things to you. Although, if you can't believe that this is an unbiased opinion because I am a writer for this website, then I understand, and you should just click out of this and go back to getting into arguments on Facebook and cuddle with your left hand. If this does not apply to you, then keep reading.

Social media gives everyone a chance to express themselves in a new and unique way. No matter what way you look at it, if someone has something to say, they're going to find a place to do it. If someone hates black people, they're going to talk about it online, or in person, it doesn't matter, they will find a way to express this belief. A Trump supporter is going to talk about why they love Trump no matter what you do to stop them. Whether it be a blog on WordPress that no one looks at, sharing pictures on Facebook, or using their voice on The Odyssey, they're going to share their opinions whether you agree with them or not.

An open letter to The Odyssey Online was written by Steven Benko a few days ago, who pulled apart this website and weeded out all of the people he doesn't like on it. He claims that these two articles: I Am a College Student Who is Against Free Tuition: Why Paying For College Isn’t a Burden, and, Why White Privilege is As Racist As it Sounds: Heads Up I’m White and Do Not Consider Myself Privileged, are a perfect summation of The Odyssey.

Well, Mr. Benko, the last time I checked there are thousands of other articles that are the exact opposite of what you are claiming The Odyssey represents. Such as this article written by Paris Beato that addresses how American pop culture has racism embedded within it, or this article by Derek Sherry which is an open letter to Hillary Clinton that addresses her consistent lies and demands an explanation for Benghazi, or "Do I Have Privilege?" by Andrew Siva, just to name a few. So tell me again, Steven Benko, how the entirety of The Odyssey is a pool of dumb millennials who are nothing but racist, Trump supporters.

To generalize an entire website as racist, white privileged assholes is such a close-minded claim. There are plenty of people on Facebook that are racist, are you gonna attack that website too?

Social media is a place where people are given a platform to express themselves. The Odyssey is a site that happens to specifically give millennials that platform.

Some millennials want Trump to be the next president, but that doesn't mean there aren't millennials that don't. If a company hires a racist person, they are not endorsing their beliefs, and neither is The Odyssey.