An Open Letter To Anyone Still Defending Donald Trump

Because I know you're out there.

33
Slate

Just for the record, I don't think that Donald Trump ever had a chance at becoming President of the United States, but his base of support has been undeniably present, even if I don't and never will understand how it could possibly remain so strong through so many ugly comments, blatant racism and sexism, and a disregard of so many of the values that this country claims to have been founded on. However, in light of his commentary that has just been released, I am astounded that there are still those who will defend him. We have seen the way he has spoken in debates, we have seen the chaos he creates at his rallies, and we have seen the kind of animosity he can generate between groups of people. If your faith in him wasn't broken by now, it may not have been by the recording. I don't care about his "genuine" and professional apology released on social media. I care that he said it, and I care that he shows minimal regard for just how close he was to talking about sexual assault.

It is my personal belief that Donald Trump does not understand most of what he talks about. I believe he does not understand the impact of language, but he knows how to manipulate it, to turn it into something that everyone wants to hear. It is a very politician-like trait, except that most politicians have at least some kind of filter. "He's honest," you say. Do we want someone so honest that they offend those they speak to at every turn? He's so honest that we'll be out of alliances in four years if Mr. Trump gets elected because they won't be able to handle just how honest he is. This is the way he talks in private. At the beginning of this campaign season, I thought that Donald Trump did not have a filter. Clearly, I was wrong, because what he says in private is even more vulgar than what he says in public.

I feel like I'm repeating myself whenever I talk about Donald Trump, but that's probably because he proves the same point over and over again. His pattern of disrespect doesn't need to be tracked because turn on any footage of him speaking and you'll see it. He is not like our politicians, which is a reason why many people are voting for him. However, the only way I see that he is different from our politicians is that they try so hard not to offend anyone. Why? Because they are supposed to represent us. How can they represent people that they can't even be bothered to try and understand or respect? Donald Trump doesn't know about the issues surrounding this country. He has no respect or regard for history. He doesn't understand what has been tried and what has failed. He will dig us deeper into the hole previous politicians have dug us into because he is going to repeat their mistakes. And why wouldn't he? He's being encouraged by a good portion of the public.

To close off this letter I have this to say. Donald Trump will never be able to fix this country when he will be in a constant struggle to clean up his own messes. He makes very public mistakes, and he is being enabled by people who believe that it will somehow stop if he gets elected.

It won't.