The Admission Letter We Forgot To Send You

An open letter to students entering our second home.

3
YCN News

Dear Incoming Freshman,

I am super envious that you are just beginning the best years of your life. I sometimes wish we could swap places, but I am reminded of all the cool stuff you’ve sadly missed out on. You’ll hear current student name-drop legends before your time at our college. That girl who was the life of the party during that horrendous 8 a.m. class. The guy who included everyone in his weekend shenanigans. These were our best friends and role models for how to achieve the best college experience. There’s a chance that you may not get to meet them for yourself.

There will be names of certain houses that everyone gathered at during the weekends. You’ll ask around campus for directions and find that most of them will be empty due to changes in campus housing. There will be mentions of certain classes and professors that were absolutely life-changing. After searching through the course catalog, you realize that a certain course is no longer offered and a few professors have left. You’ll see an empty building that used to be our hangout place off campus. Since the café is no longer in business, all you will hear is students craving for certain menu items.

I’m not saying it sucks to be you, but I wish you could have some of the same experiences I did. I guess it’s kind of like those rambling stories your relatives tell you about their own glory days. “Back when I was a freshman in college…." You poor thing. You clearly get the picture by now.

The cool part is that you get to have your own experiences. Maybe that empty café or house will become a new hangout place that you will visit often. There will most likely be new classes and professors that will change your life completely. I'm positive new opportunities will come your way and they will be unforgettable. As for meeting legendary students…Well, I would think that’s an impact you'd want to make on our college community. Best wishes to you and your four years in the place many call their second home. I hope you live every semester to the fullest.

From,

A Freshman At Heart