An Open Letter To Incoming College Freshman

College has a lot of lessons for you to learn, so buckle up.

962
Sarah Menke

Dear Incoming Freshman,

Congrats high school graduate! You have made it through four of the easiest years of your life. That’s right, I said “easiest,” as in it only gets harder from here. I’m sure I’m not the first to tell you this, but college is hard. It challenges me every single day, but I’m still enjoying my time more as a college student than I did as a high school student.

As a junior college student, I have learned so many things about life, my career, and myself. Most of these things I learned my freshman year. However, instead of telling you what you already know about college, I would like to share some important lessons that I have learned.

My first lesson that I learned right off the bat is that people don’t care about your high school self in college.

No one cares how cool or uncool you were nor will they care enough to ask. You are finally free from everything you used to be. All the labels that you thought were tattooed on your forehead in high school don’t exist. All the status is washed away and you are left with your true self. You get a “fresh canvas” as everyone says.

Your liberation to be who you really are is upon you. Take advantage of the blank sheet of paper and write your own future. Create your best self. Create a person you would admire and become that person.

However, when starting new, remember who you are. Don’t abandon your authenticity just to make friends. Your past is erased, but your true self is there waiting to be cultivated. People see right through the pretenders. It’s very “high school” to try too hard to fit into a group. Don’t become that person who leaves even the best parts of their real self behind. Don’t worry about what others think because they’re too worried about their lives to worry about your social status.

As you build yourself, remember that you aren’t alone. Every college student has gone through the same thing. While you may get flack for being a freshman keep your head high and take it with a grain of salt. If you want some pointers on how to not look like a freshman, don’t wear your lanyard around your neck, don’t travel in giant obnoxious groups, don’t walk around like you own the place, and just be friendly.

Friendly, polite freshman tend to get less teasing than reckless freshman who make it obvious that they are new to adult life. All of the teasing is said with humor, so don’t read into it too much. Upperclassmen may seem scary (just like they did in high school), but we are actually great resources. People who have already been in your shoes can help guide you to the best places.

One final lesson is that college is a time where you need to know the difference between the time to be serious and the time to have fun. Schoolwork is serious and should always be held as a priority. This may seem obvious, but the freedom of being able to do what you want without a guardian hovering over your shoulder can make putting off schoolwork more tempting.

There is a time for fun, and it must be balanced with the time you dedicate to work. You have gotten this far, why throw it all away now just because you want to have fun all the time.

Get your sh*t done and reward yourself with fun. Showing off a hard work ethic in college will pay off more than neglecting your work for fun in the end.

The best kind of freshman is the one who doesn’t walk around like they constantly have something to prove. They act like the adults we all are. They don’t brag about all the parties they went to (no one cares because most people have been to a party that was just as lit or they don’t party at all). You are a college freshman now, and high school doesn’t matter. On your first day, take a deep breath and introduce yourself to people. Make a connection of friends, focus on yourself and your schoolwork, and have a little fun every now and again. Let your true self take the lead and the adaptation to college life will be a breeze.