An open letter...
Friendships

An open letter...

To the girl I met by chance

6
An open letter...

To the girl I met by chance...

You were up against the wall stretching when you spoke to me. I had to have you repeat yourself three times before I could understand what you were even saying because that's how sick I was when my team played against yours. "You trying to get my team sick?" With a grin on your face and a chuckle behind the last syllable you spoke. "Oh! No!" Was what I said to you. We exchanged laughs before I walked back into my teams locker room that night. Little did I know, your face, your smile, your laugh, and just who you were, was going to be the one of the many things I loved hearing and seeing in my life.

When you're on Facebook, or twitter or really any type of social media, you see these posts or articles that talk about having a connection with someone, or finding that "one" person that you don't necessarily love in a romantic way, but you know it's more than a friendship. However, until it actually happens to you, you just shake it off and think "this is just fiction". I used to think that too. I had many friends, I connected with a lot of people. Many of whom I consider almost like family. That was until I met you.

We quickly began speaking when you began to follow me on Instagram. Liking "x" amount of pictures, going back and forth, eventually adding one another on Snapchat, then exchanging numbers, until finally it became an everyday thing. "Good morning. How's your day going?"... "I'm heading to bed, but I'll talk to you tomorrow". Getting to know one another. "What's your favorite—", "Have you ever—". At one point, it just became routine. Text messages became short FaceTime calls, short FaceTime calls became longer and before we both knew it, we were talking almost every minute of everyday. We even began falling asleep on FaceTime together. We became so comfortable with one another that we didn't get tired of each other. We looked forward to waking up and texting one another because the conversations were always riveting, they were never so bleak or redundant. There was ALWAYS something new to talk about.

I titled this "To the girl I met by chance" because I made a decision I was never concrete about until it was the last minute. I hadn't played this sport in years and I wasn't quite sure if it was something I wanted to start playing again. However I knew if I passed up on it now, I would regret it in the long run. Not only that, the day my team played yours, I was incredibly sick and I had yet another decision to make and that was whether I stayed in bed or to make a sacrifice and help my team. To this day, getting on that bus to go to that game was the best decision I could have ever made.

It's been almost 7 months and it feels like I've known her for so much longer. So many people will read this and say "it hasn't even been that long"... I know that. However, when someone tells you its quality over quantity, that is the truest and most honest thing anyone could ever tell you. It's about comfort, it's about listening, it's about caring, being kind, being open minded, understanding and just being a genuine human being. She made me feel like I could be vulnerable without being scared and it was the same in vice versa. We complimented each other in the things we were opposites in as well as the same.

My point is... you could meet the most important and incredible people when you're not even looking for them. Those people are the ones that are going to help you grow, they are the ones that are going to challenge you, they are the ones that will push you to your limit, almost to the point where you hate them.... but they are the ones who will forever leave the biggest impact on your life.

....

To the girl I met by chance...

Thank you for coming into my life at just the right time 💓