An Ode to the Beauty and the Beast Live Action Movie

Every little girl deserves a princess like Belle.

10

As a little girl we all want to see a princess that looks, or acts, like us. That princess for me was Belle.

I was a child that loved to read. I was a little girl who loved to make up stories in my head and play out the scenarios with my friends. I was always an imaginative little kid. This is why my family members compared me to Belle.

Even as I grew older, I found that I started to associated myself with Belle. She was strong, smart, different, and beautiful. She defied all of the stereotypes in her little village and she kept her nose nuzzled in a book at all times.

Around this time, I found myself wishing that I could escape my "provincial town" just as Belle did. I would lose myself in magical, far-away, worlds. My peers would note that it was little strange that I finished books so fast and I never got bored with reading. However, they would always come to me when they needed a good book suggestion.

In senior year, we watched Beauty and the Beast in one of my English classes and I fell in love all over again. Belle is empowering, something that we should all look for in our favorite characters. She didn't fall in love with the egotistical Adonis that everyone else was obsessed with. She worried about herself and her family before anyone else.

In just a few months we get to see the story of Belle and the Beast unfold again. This time, though, Emma Watson plays the princess role.

I can't think of a more fitting actress. She's intelligent and humble. She went back to school before she continued her acting career. She is the perfect role model for little girls everywhere and she is playing the role of the best princess in the Disney princess stories... I'm a little biased I must admit.

Disney is so smart for bringing these live action movies to life. Not only do older generations get to revisit their childhood, but the younger generations get to experience the stories for themselves as well. You can bet that I will be in the theater to see Beauty and the Beast within the first week it is out.

Apologies in advance to anyone sitting near me because I will be singing every song.