An Ode To Museums

An Ode To Museums

For the chance to experience art first hand, I thank you, museums.

17
An Ode To Museums
Rachel Young

There is something about museums that makes me feel like I’m at home.There is something about all the stories behind the works of art. There is something about museums. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to many countries and experience various cultures first hand. Visiting cathedrals, churches, synagogues, mosques, and museums was a given when traveling with my family. Doing research in the hotel lobby after breakfast was always my job before we set out for the day. These experiences allowed me to fully embrace the belief that learning about other cultures was extremely valuable and vital for becoming a good human being. I always found the most comfort once I would pass the chaotic line to get tickets and entered the first room I could find in the museum. The shift from noise to low murmurs was the cue for me to start absorbing everything I could.

I’ve grown to appreciate museums even more now that I have a deeper understanding of history - but to be quite honest, I’m disappointed. Not too long ago I visited the Perez Art Museum with my mom and Tia on a beautiful Miami Saturday. There were a lot of people visiting and the PAMM even upped their staff due to the influx of visitors - but this can be explained by the fact that it was the second Saturday of the month - free admission! As we walked through the museum and I read every plaque, I noticed that the majority of people were simply taking pictures of the art and moving to the next rooms. This made me feel disheartened because as I read the plaques and museum program pamphlet, I learned a lot about the artists whose works were being displayed and I reacted to the art differently because of that. There is so much that was to be seen, and unfortunately, many people were only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

With everything being online now, it has become the norm to view art through the internet's digital filter. Subsequently, the art world has grown along with the internet - and it isn’t the same. I cannot stress enough how looking at Monet’s Lilies on your iPad removes you so much from the actual work of art. No feeling compares to what I felt as I sat in l’Orangerie in Paris as closing hours approached and I sat facing the Lilies in the empty room. No feeling compares to what I felt when I walked up to Monet’s masterpieces and saw the strokes from inches away. This feeling goes for any artist and for any work of art. To be able to experience art in person and see the artists’ work and emotions in the flesh is something I will always choose over a Google image. Find your nearest museum and go. Plan a trip and go. Art is timeless and experiencing it is worth every second.