An Interview With The Saint Martin's Odyssey Team

Ever thought about writing? Join us!

21
Facebook

Lately, I’ve been thinking of new ways to reach out to new students that even have a slight interest in writing for the Odyssey on campus. Our numbers on campus have increased and decreased so much in the last few weeks, and I’m not entirely sure why. At Saint Martin’s University, our mission statement for our Odyssey Online club is, “To share our voice on an online, open platform, we hope to share our news, events, and educated opinions in a respectful and balanced manner. We hope to create thoughtful and fun pieces, and to build a sense of community through the Odyssey at Saint Martin’s University.” This week, I asked a few members of the current club two basic questions, why do they write for the odyssey, and why do they wish more people contributed… Check out their short answers below!

Brian Messing, a Freshman Accounting Major, from Bainbridge Island, Washington said,

Why do you write for The Odyssey: “I mostly enjoy having an open forum to discuss my ideas and being able persuade people through my own articles on the Odyssey.”

Why do you wish more people contributed: “I wish that more people would contribute so that we can hear more ideas and opinions, and, if we’re lucky, have a debate!”

Ian White, a Freshman Psychology Major, from Bremerton, Washington said,

Why do you write for The Odyssey: “I like that I can share my ideas in a detailed way… On Facebook, Snapchat, and even Instagram, we can share ideas but in a quick way, we don’t get a chance to elaborate. Here, on the odyssey, you can hook the reader and elaborate your ideas!”

Why do you wish more people contributed: “Everyone has personal opinions, and if you can contribute them in a civilized way, people understand you better and there is room for communication and information…if we show communication on both sides, we understand each other’s feelings better, allowing us to work through the issues to find peace and resolutions.”

Samantha Bibeau, a Junior English Major, from Olympia, Washington said,

Why do you write for The Odyssey: “I like the freedom of Odyssey! I can write about literally ANYTHING!”

Why do you wish more people contributed: “It’s an easy way to share your voice on an open platform and get some job experience. And, it helps people develop and strengthen their writing skills!”

Aleecia Robledo, a Freshman Biology Major, from Moses Lake, Washington said,

Why do you write for The Odyssey: “I can freely express my feelings on whatever topic I like and feel comfortable about it. I can also freely write as I please.”

Why do you wish more people contributed: “I want to hear what others have to say and I want people to feel the gratitude I get when I finish an article.”

And finally…me!

Andrew Garcia, a Business Administration Major, from Eatonville, Washington said,

Why do you write for The Odyssey: “I write for the Odyssey because it’s great to express my ideas and thoughts on a certain idea or subject. Beyond that, I like to read and study the ideas of others and see how people react to a different situation that is different from mine.”

Why do you wish more people contributed: “I wish more people would contribute so that we could educate ourselves even more by studying other’s thoughts. By educating ourselves on different ways of thinking, we form into more well-rounded individuals.”

My intention for this article is to have more people sign up and speak out on the odyssey. Not just at Saint Martin’s (all though we really need more!) but also on other odyssey teams across the nation. Hearing the thoughts of others is crucial to our growth as individuals. If you’re interested in joining, reach out to current members on your campus, and, if you don’t have a team already, start one! It takes a village to educate a nation, let’s get to work!