To Anyone Who Feels Like They're Alone

To Anyone Who Feels Like They're Alone

Some of the hardest battles are within ourselves.

5
To Anyone Who Feels Like They're Alone

As February rapidly approaches, our minds race considering the recent presidential election, homework slowly piling up, work, or social events with friends or family. I began last week, taking time each day to think about who I am and what I represent. In the beginning, it felt tedious and almost useless. I assumed “why think about your beliefs, personality, or values anyway? Shouldn’t we know ourselves already?” During difficult seasons in our lives I think we are most prone to ask these questions and even doubt ourselves, our identity. However, I firmly believe that our true personhood comes to light in those dark, overwhelming times. I write this article for those who are amidst any kind of gloomy, unhappy, or depressing chapter of their life.

You’re not alone. I never thought I’d be the one to find myself fighting depression or anxiety. Growing up I recall having friends and meeting people who explained this, yet I never understood or could sympathize with them. It wasn’t until later in my life that I began to feel exactly what had been explained to me about depression. After being diagnosed, I began therapy; yet continuing to doubt my identity and battle loneliness. Meanwhile, I discovered that my self-esteem had drained significantly. My resilience to life’s adversities had almost completely diminished. The negatives, even sometime insignificant, had much more control over me than the positives. Remarkably, I woke one day and realized that I had no idea what I was grounded in. Because I wasn’t aware of what was meaningful to me; I was overcome by attitudes, values, and an identity which was not congruent with my genuine self. We live without support by pursuing goals that are irrelevant to ourselves. Finally, it becomes impossible to live functionally without knowing our goals, identity, values, and attitude.

Easier said than done. It’s no easy battle, nor a trivial fight with a quick result. The war doesn’t end when we merely understand our purpose. It is a daily struggle, a conflict waiting to be won by engaging in a way that satisfies you authentically rather than filling an empty void. Personally, I’m nourished and enriched when I can empathize, encourage, and grow with others. It’s not simple happiness; it’s an overwhelming joy that comes with those goals. An indescribable harmony unrivaled to any hopeless or meaningless emotions that inevitably appear in life.

So, fight the good fight. I didn’t think I had it in me, I merely did not perceive it. You have the strength; we all have the strength. If you are broken and hopeless and cannot see the good things in life, find beauty in the negative. Know that any hurt or bad emotion makes you human; which alone is beauty. When we understand that trials come, and pain comes with trial, we begin to see ourselves in a completely new perspective. If you take away one thing from my writing, let it be this: The easy route and simple times do not characterize us as much as the painful, challenging periods in our life. Find faith that you will become a more empathetic and genuine person when you break free from your struggle.

Own yourself. Self-published writer, bass guitar player, encourager, and Hunter. I am who I strive to be, so strive to be the things that are you. What makes you hurt? What are those things that you should stand up for? If you choose to turn your back on your values, you are only harming yourself. Be empowered by your values, find beauty in the negative and the insignificant. Open yourself to others, open your mind to different ideas, and stand up for yourself, and the things you believe in. Today, we need people who are inspired by their dreams and goals. An effective society calls for genuine, kindhearted individuals who not only understand their own needs, but the needs of all people, and the essentials of a greater good.