An Exploration Into The Best Fashion Week Of Them All

Couture Week 2016, where dreams became a reality.

271
Instagram

During the American Fourth of July holiday weekend, all of the Fall 2016 Haute Couture collections were shown in Paris and Italy...and let me tell you, the collections were absolutely ah-mazing, uber-majestic, and beyond everything I could ever ask for!

If you are not aware, haute couture is the highest fashion, literally that’s the translation. It is custom-fitted clothing constructed by hand using the most expensive, unusual, and high-quality fabrics. The garments can take hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours to make by the most highly skilled -- and the details are out of this world.

Couture week is on such a different level than the usual prêt-à-porter collections and shows because these garments are not meant to be wearable. This week is all about the avant-garde. Designers use haute couture as a way to produce the most ingenious and magnificent works of art and this past week was no exception.

The following is a breakdown of all the highlights from the Fall 2016 collections during couture week. This week was not disappointing in the slightest because every collection was breathtaking.

Karl Lagerfeld’s collection for Chanel, however, must be discussed first because it was dedicated to the all the people behind the artistry of haute couture. For this show, Lagerfeld recreated the Chanel Couture Atelier which normally can be found on the fourth floor of Chanel’s headquarters on Rue Cambon; however, on Tuesday, July 5 the entire Chanel Atelier was moved to the Grand Palais, where Madame Jacqueline and her petite mains were center stage for this presentation of the autumn/winter 2016/17 haute couture collection.

This show was outstanding because the clothes were, as per usual, elegant and structured, worthy of this iconic label, and Lagerfeld celebrated everyone who worked tirelessly behind the scenes. For the best part of the show, Lagerfeld walked hand in hand with the head ateliers down the runway for a victory lap, showcasing all the appreciation he has for everyone who is a part of the Chanel team.

Viktor & Rolf, the label that brought us the innovative “fashion is art”-themed show during last year’s couture week, did it again this year by celebrating their history. They repurposed their mementos and leftovers, consisting of scraps of fabric and award winning sequins, from their past collections as a basis in order to create a new organic, sustainable, and vagabond homage for their haute couture autumn/winter 2016 collection. Their work never fails to be breathtaking and surprising, and this couture collection was no exception.

Another personal favorite was Alexandre Vauthier, the man that brings sexy to couture, and an official member of Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture, since 2014 not only brought his usual sass but volume to this collection. He himself summed up this collection perfectly in an interview with NowFashion. “The collection, it’s the right balance between being strong and feminine; there is a notion of the military but completely contrasted by the femininity,” he explained. “In fact, this collection is super sporty, elegant, and Parisian.” Personally, this collection has everything that I love: tuxedo structure, muted colors, velvet, fur, and sparkles galore; I’ll take one of each, please!

All of these couture collections were uber-extravagant and outstanding, but the Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda Collection was thepièce de résistance. For this collection’s presentation, there was a street festival party in Naples that celebrated the city and people of Naples as well as their long-time muse Sophia Loren. This collection was the definition of couture royalty and probably one of the best things I have ever seen! If you are going to take the time to look at any of these collections, it’s this one, hands down. I cannot put into words how great this collection is. It included everything, both men and women’s fashion, food, religion, royalty, culture; those headpieces, though, bravo!

Other notable couture collections include Iris Van Herpen, who is always innovative, and did you see that bubble dress? J. Mendel had so many gorgeous fur coats, Armani Privé was classic and elegant, and Jean Paul Gaultier’s was beyond gorgeous and prime haute couture. Zuhair Murad was a glam-filled sparkle land of dramatic capes and hats and Elie Saab’s mother-daughter looks were adorable.

Valentino’s renaissance-themed collection was also great, particularly loved the black tulle dress with the nod to Shakespeare embroidered in the bodice. Lagerfeld the ever-genius location and setting aficionado held the 90-year Fendi anniversary show at the Trevi Fountain. In addition, the street style is always beyond for couture week, but sadly, the street style will never be captured the same without legendary photographer Bill Cunningham, RIP.

On a happy note, to everyone's surprise, Celine Dion, who was in attendance at some shows, ultimately slayed the personal style game. She was everything thanks to her new stylist Law Roach. Did everyone see her wearing the Vetements Titanic hoodie? I died. The makeup and hair for these collections was also gorgeous; I especially loved Pat McGrath’s sparkly red lip at Versace.

Overall, this year's couture week was everything I could have dreamed of and more. I am currently crying middle-class tears while thoroughly appreciating such groundbreaking and unique art and contemplating whether or not I should get a sugar daddy so I can be surrounded by the utmost luxury always. Wake me up before the regularly scheduled fashion week in September, for until then I will be obsessing and reminiscing over everything couture week has to offer.