Amsterdam Is Known For These 14 Things

Amsterdam Is Known For These 14 Things

A tolerant yet progressive outlook and good ass cheese — what more could you want?

13024
Amsterdam Is Known For These 14 Things
Abigail Davidson

Amsterdam! The city of...

1. Canals

If you don't think of the Red Light District when you think of Amsterdam, you probably think of the canals winding through the city.

There are close to 200 different canals going through Amsterdam and it is seriously one of the most unique and gorgeous things I've ever seen in a city.

The entire city is actually below sea level (it was built on a swamp) which explains why there's so much water. The streets are small and tight because of the canals - it has a really cozy feeling.

I found myself always wanting to just stop and sit on a bench for a while - it's like downtown is a park.

2. Canal houses

Along the canals, which is pretty much every street in Amsterdam, you have the classic Amsterdam canal houses that are so old, historical and picturesque.

The houses are tall and narrow, which isn't just so they look nice - back when they were building them, they were taxed on the width of the houses, so they are all very narrow and instead have great depth and height. Pretty interesting!

These canal houses get some of the best views in the world in my opinion, but living right near a canal comes at a price - the houses often sink! They lean on each other for support - most of them don't stand straight up anymore.

3. Fries

Yeah, you read that right — Amsterdam is a city with fries (not chips) as their main *must-have* dish.

As much as you have to try fish and chips in England, you have to try fries in Amsterdam.

Not just any fries - fries covered in... mayonnaise. I'm serious. And guess what? They're delicious and I have craved them every day since (come to think of it, it's probably a good thing they don't have them here in America).

My friends and I had them twice - shit, maybe three times - while we were in town as a grab and go meal when we needed it. Nutritionists, turn away.

Manneken Pis is the go-to spot - I devoured mine before I could take a pic of my own, but it ain't pretty anyway.

4. Vondelpark

This park is beautiful. While the canals and trees that line the streets don't have you missing nature entirely, it's still amazing to see a huge green space in an otherwise tightly packed city.

It is right by the IAMSTERDAM sign and just out front of the famous Rijksmuseum.

This is where I found my beloved, fresh stroopwafel among the other pop-up street food. There are many variations, but this one was a caramel-like syrup filling fitted between the traditional thin layers of waffle.

It's a staple with coffee in Dutch culture - in fact, when I ordered a coffee at breakfast, I received a small stroopwafel with it!

5. Art

Van Gogh and Rembrandt -- it's hard to go through naming the top things about Amsterdam and miss talking about the amazing artists that once called the city home.

These classic artists of completely different styles both have museums - Rembrandt's in his old home, and Van Gogh's near Vondelpark - that house many of their works.

The Van Gogh galleries are fantastic and the city really embraces these artists names and legacies.

6. Cheese!

A tourist activity in Amsterdam is to taste Dutch cheeses at every local shop you walk by.

Okay, so maybe not ALL tourists do it, but it was certainly a tourist activity for us. We'd like to think that everyone visiting Amsterdam enjoyed the cheese as much as we do - cheese shops are on every corner and all of them offer samples of as many cheeses as you want and as big a piece as you want.

You just walk in and cut yourself a piece. So, pretty much between every meal, we stopped in and 'tried' some cheese as our snack.

Hey, our tour guide told us to do it, so it must be legit.

7. Coffee shops

What, you thought I wouldn't mention it? Literally, we got out of the cab at our hostel and said, "Well, this is what Amsterdam smells like."

There are many 'coffee shops' that sell marijuana, but they aren't advertised as such and are very discreet - no photos, they aren't on a regular map... the laws are of course stricter than you think, but people are still walking around with joints like they would a cigarette in the rest of Europe.

8. Bikes

Maybe it was naive of me to think that biking in Amsterdam was just a stereotype - there is no way there are actually that many but OH MY GOD WAS I WRONG, there are so many.

Throughout the city, there are streets where cars are simply not allowed, meaning the best way for all locals to get around is via bicycle.

It's beautiful, and cheery, and feels so cliche (in a good way) until a super experienced biker almost runs you over because you're standing in a bike lane and you had no idea.

This is kind of a running joke for tour guides - but also pretty serious - it was the first thing our guide mentioned to us.

If you see a biker coming toward you... just freeze. They'll move around you.

It's something we laughed off until we started making our way around the city, where we more often than not heard bells signaling us to GTFO when crossing what seemed like a sidewalk.

9. The Fault In Our Stars

Okay, so it's not the city *of* TFiOS, but I am someone who lives and dies by John Green and for anyone that read the novel, they know that being able to be and see where some of the best scenes are painted was such an amazing experience.

I get what Green was talking about when he gave us the setting - I was ready for his magical picture of Amsterdam, and it didn't disappoint.

From the tunnel of the Rijksmuseum to the area Peter van Houten's house is located, TFiOS just made me a little more mindful walking around Amsterdam.

10. Tulips

My mom called me while I was in Amsterdam and asked, "Are there tons of tulips?!"

Tulips are quintessentially Dutch and, along with windmills, are something people think of when they think Holland countryside.

While I didn't get a chance to leave Amsterdam city centre, one of the largest flower markets, Blumenmarkt, offered the insane amount of tulips I believe my mom was referring to.

It was beautiful to walk through, so bright and colorful and fresh.

11. History

Of course, probably the thing Amsterdam is most well known for is for being the home of Anne Frank for years after the war began and where she hid in the secret annex until her and her family were arrested and sent to concentration camps.

A paragraph I write here will never do it justice - the tour of the Anne Frank House was one of the most moving, life-changing and powerful things I think anyone can do.

They did an absolutely amazing job and the preservation and conversion of the annex into a museum was beautiful and seamless. It held the integrity of the space while still being informative and without being exploitative — likely because Otto Frank, Anne's father, played a very large part in the creation of the tour.

There are chilling and moving aspects of the house - for the two years they were in the annex, they kept track of the children's heights on the walls in pencil, and those marks are still preserved.

I don't know why I think about that one little part so much to this day, but I do. Put this in the places to visit before you die - the perspective shift is unmatched and has still stuck with me.

12. Pancakes

Did I only eat when I was there? Or am I just obsessed with everything I ate? Is it both?

I promise we did things other than snacking. It's funny, because when I was looking up "Where to eat in Amsterdam", I kept reading things that alluded to Amsterdam having really poor food - well, I found otherwise, I guess, but I love cheese and fries so I suppose I was pretty much at home here.

Dutch pancakes are big and thin - somewhat of a thicker crepe - and the combinations of toppings are what make them so unique.

They have the classic, sweet, and savory toppings - the second day we went here my friend got a smoked salmon and guacamole pancake that WAS DELICIOUS - though I stuck with the traditional Dutch styles because, well, when in Holland... I ordered the dutch apple pancake (both visits - it was just too good) that was topped with apple slices and... DUTCH CHEESE.

Typing this I am salivating. Thank god I don't live here because I cannot afford to be eating cheesy pancakes and mayo fries every day, but they were so tempting over the weekend.

13. Red Light District

OK, so this is WILD!!!!!! I have no other words to describe other than how crazy it is to walk through the Red Light District.

We did learn a lot about it that made it even more interesting — Amsterdam is tolerant, and of course, prostitution is legal, but there are many constituencies that make it far less than black and white.

These women actually rent their own window space - it is illegal to have a pimp. They are their own bosses, they set their prices and this isn't the way they make a living - they often have a day job.

We walked through during the day and during the night, and while it is busy and crazy all the time, I'll never forget what it was like walking through the district on a Friday night.

14. Walking

I referred to Amsterdam many times as a 'walk around city' — the most fun we had was when we were walking down the canals, looking at the water, and observing Dutch culture.

Amsterdam streets are winding, tight and intertwined, and there's definitely a local gem on every street.

There's lots of art, small restaurants, each with a unique style. It was fun to just stroll in this city. We came across some of the coolest places when we were just walking around.

Despite the passport agent stamping my passport without batting an eye and simply offering the words, "Have fun, behave... or not", I found Amsterdam to be much more than the things it's famous for legalizing.

It's home to bright flowers on dark days, bikers enjoying the sky when it's raining, one of the most pivotal voices in our history, a unique calmness among colorful nightlife, a tolerant yet progressive outlook, and good ass cheese.

I will never forget it, and I'll be back someday.