American Football's most glaring issue- Head injuries

Love It Or Hate It, American Football Is A Nasty Sport That May Be Gone Sooner Than Later

Youth tackle football will be gone in the years to come. The professional and college ranks will have to adapt or follow the same path.

113
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/american-football

For many years now, American football has been under scrutiny in terms of high rates of concussions in the game. The most popular sport in America could see some drastic changes, from the professional level, all the way down to youth tackle football. Will this collision sport that excites millions of sports fans change into something completely unrecognizable? Or could it be banned altogether? The NFL has addressed these concerns in past years. But one state is taking measures to new heights and to lower levels of the game. Illinois has the potential to become the first state to ban youth tackle football.

In March of 2018, the Illinois House committee on mental health passed legislation to ban children under 12 years old from playing tackle football. The bill known as the Dave Duerson Act is being debated in the Illinois House of Representatives. Dave Duerson was a former NFL player for the Bears, Giants, and Cardinals. In 2011 he took his own life after years of battling depression and brain damages. Years of playing football took a toll on Duerson after his playing days. New York, California, and Maryland are also introducing legislation to better regulate youth football. Former NFL quarterbacks Brett Favre and Kurt Warner are supporters of the Dave Duerson Act and wish to see the end of youth tackle football in America.

In 2017 the NFL had a reported 281 concussions during the season. That is the most reported since the league started reporting concussion data in 2012. The NFL has tried to address concussions in the past with better player safety, more trustworthy equipment, and protective rules for the safety of their players. This offseason, The NFL changed kickoff rule dramatically, in an attempt to minimize the most dangerous play in football- the kickoff.

The new kickoffs in the NFL will look a little strange this coming season to fans and perhaps players and coaches themselves. There are no running starts, no wedge blocking and no blocking in the first 15 yards. NFL owners approved this measure, hoping the kickoff won't see as many concussions. In the past, NFL players running at each other full speed made the kickoff a concussion heavy play. Now the new rules could change that. Hopefully, concussion reports will go down in 2018, but the NFL should still take greater measures to reduce concussions.

Many former NFL players have suffered from CTE after their playing days. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is a degenerative brain disease that is very common among former NFL players. Dave Duerson was one of many players who was diagnosed after death. It was also diagnosed in Tyler Hilinski, former Washington State University quarterback. On January 18, 2018, Hilinski committed suicide. His autopsy confirmed he had CTE due to concussions from years of playing football. Even the college ranks could face problems when it comes to football and concussions.

Years of tackle football can and will lead to extensive brain damage later in life. Love it or hate it, American football is a violent sport. Rules and regulations have changed but as long as football is being played, there will be concussions followed by controversy. Youth tackle football is on the way out. The sport of American football will one day be forced to do one of two things. Either change into a game so different that it won't be the same violence and contact that Americans love. Or it will have to hang 'em up and call it a career.