Make America Kind Again
Politics

Make America Kind Again

Keep scrolling, stop trolling.

63
Make America Kind Again

It is sad that as I write this article, I am terrified of how others will react. How many people will jump out and attack me for standing up for what I believe in? Why can’t I act upon my constitutional guaranteed right to freedom of speech without utter terror of how others will respond, react or attack my views?

This is exactly how myself, as well as many other America citizens, have felt these past few days post election on social media. While myself and others are simply voicing our own opinion, we are getting knocked down and trampled for what we believe in. If you share a video about Hilary and how she could’ve been an amazing president you are called uneducated, and supportive of a crook. If you share a status about how you voted for Trump you are called a racist and unsupportive of Women or the LGBT community and so forth. Unfortunately, there is no win-win in this situation. It is because of this bickering and hate that we as a country are now more divided than ever. This is not the Divided States of America. We live in one nation under God, The United States of America. The question isn’t whether we support Hillary or we support Trump. The question is whether or not we support each other. Trump will be America's president, not dictator. We still live in a democracy where the power is theoretically in the hands of its citizens. Therefore, we as a nation need to focus on supporting one another instead of tearing each other down.

I am sick and tired of reading post after post where people are being bullied and harassed. If someone is scared, let them voice their opinion. They have every goddamn right to be terrified. There is no need for others to call them ridiculous or overdramatic. Let that person feel they way that they feel. You don't need to comment hateful things, there's no need. They are looking for support, so if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. On the flip side, if someone is proud for who they voted in, let them be proud. They truly believe in and stand behind that person. They are excited to see what things for our country their candidate will do. Let them be proud, your hateful speech and disagreements are not needed. All you are doing is adding fuel to the fire, and you can't fight fire with fire. We aren't going to move forward by disrespecting each other, we are just going to continue to be stuck in the same exact spot we are in. If you are preaching kindness practice that kindness and respect each other. The fighting needs to end it's not helping our country out in any way. By belittling others, we are only making what is already a difficult time for Americans worse.

Please, stop burning the American flag and committing violent acts of hate towards on another. Your own American soldiers died fighting for that freedom the American flag represents. By burning the flag, you are disrespecting the country and all the men and women who died to give us the rights that we thankfully have today. By violently attacking each other we are only just promoting hate towards one another. We should be supporting one another rather than being hateful. It seems that we have lost sight of the fact that at the end of the day we are all equal. We are all just human beings, and I am begging you to please remember that and treat each other with respect and kindness. Use your voice to speak up for the right reasons and say…I refuse to hate… Religious people, atheists, black, white, Asian, Hispanics, Trump voters, Clinton voters, the LGBT community, men and women. I REFUSE TO HATE.

What frightens me is not Donald Trump being president, it is this litany of hate that has been effectively endorsed by 47.5 percent of America. I’m afraid because two days after Donald Trump’s nomination, there have been related sexual assaults in the subway. I’m afraid because the KKK is openly recruiting in Birmingham, Alabama. I’m afraid because reports claim eight trans youth have committed suicide rather than face this future. I am afraid because of the bullying and arguing that I am seeing on social media. We seem to have forgotten what it means to be an American. This hate and violence has come from Americans. It is our very own actions, not some puppet master controlling us to act this way. It is sick and saddening that there is so much hate going on in the country that I love with all my heart. Just because Trump is president doesn’t mean that we all can’t get along. We are still one big melting pot full of culture and diversity and we should be embracing that now more than ever. We voted a person into office, we did not vote hate.

There’s a post going around (author unknown) that begins:

• If you wear a hijab, I’ll sit with you on the train.
  • If you’re trans, I’ll go to the bathroom with you.
  • If you’re a person of color, I’ll stand with you if the cops stop you.
  • If you’re a person with disabilities, I’ll hand you my megaphone.
  • If you’re an immigrant, I’ll help find you resources.
  • If you’re a survivor, I’ll believe you.
  • If you’re a refugee, I’ll make sure you’re welcome.
  • If you’re a veteran, I’ll take up your fight.
  • If you’re LGBTQ, I won’t let anyone tell you you’re broken.
  • If you’re a woman, I’ll make sure you get home okay.
  • If you're tired, me too.
  • If you need a hug, I've got an infinite supply.
  • If you need me, I'll be with you. All I ask is that you be with me, too.

I stand by this post 100 percent. You can do these things and It will make a world of difference if you do. If you voted in hopes of a future for everyone, then fight for that future. Fight against harassment, and brutality, and sexual assault, and poverty, and cruelty. Defy the voices that tell you to hate people who are not like you. Don't comment on others statuses in disagreement, find the strength to just keep on scrolling. Only we can end this hate speech and actions towards one another. Practice ignoring not enticing.

How can we as a country talk about believing in love and kindness, but all of a sudden not back our words with actions? It's hypocritical to subjectify others based on who they support and what they believe, and then turning right around and asking for equality. Let others voice their opinions and just keep your opposing opinions to yourself. Practice dialoguing with others rather than hiding behind a keyboard. We can only move forward through face-to-face discussion, not online comments. We need to put ourselves in the other person’s shoes before we hatefully attack them. This hate isn’t stemming just from Trump, we are the ones actually attacking each other right now and we are the only ones who can stop it. Yes, America is about to face some major changes, some will be negative, but some will also be positive. We may not all always agree with everything our president will do, but we still need to stand together. The president's job is to put the country first, and we voted for who we believed would do that. So put an end to tearing one another down. Besides, the only way for our country to move forward is through each others support and love and kindness. I do believe that we have good coming our way. Even in the darkest hours, there is still a glimmer of light. So please let’s put an end to all this hate and let’s "Make America Kind Again."

#KeepScrollingStopTrolling2016