12 Differences Between The East Coast And The West Coast
Travel

12 Things The West Coast And The East Coast Do Completely Different

Just a mountain girl living in a corn field world.

355
Anna Hadley

I am a California girl through and through, but I chose to move to Ohio for college. If I hadn't visited before, there would have been some major culture shock. You may ask yourself, how different can two places in the same country be? The answer: hella.

1. The weather

California is stereotyped as having no seasons and just being sunny all the time. While it's true that California is relatively warmer than most of the East Coast, we still have some seasons, especially in Northern California — there just isn't a strong distinction between fall and winter. When October came here in Ohio, I realized that I wasn't in NorCal anymore. There was snow and bitterly cold wind and there I was, coming out of my dorm with iced coffee, totally unprepared for the horrors I would face that day.

2. Attitudes

Since I first visited Ohio, I've noticed major differences in the way people act on the different coasts. Back in California, people are very laid back and typically don't care very much about what other people think of them. We tend to want more free time than work hours, and it's probably because we have so much we want to explore and enjoy. What's the point of having mountains, lakes, rivers, and forests surrounding you if you never have the time to explore them? A lot of people that I've met here in Ohio have the idea that Californians are lazy, and I think that reasoning comes from the fact that people in California like to get their work done as quickly as possible so that we can enjoy life.

Most East Coasters that I've met have a much stronger work ethic and are more assertive and direct. It was a big change for me when I went from having people talk nicely to your face to having people tell you like it is without an ounce of remorse, though I do admire how confident East Coasters appear to be.

3. Accents

Accents are funny things. To me, there is no California accent, especially where I live. The Californian accent is the one you are most likely to hear in a movie or TV show, so I never think anything of it until I hear a different accent.

I started noticing accents when I first visited Ohio, and more so now that I live here. Wash/washing/washer suddenly turned into "warsh/warshing/warsher." Cement turned into "seement." Milk is "melk." What's going on?

In addition to accents, there are some regional phrases that were a little confusing or odd to my West Coast ears the first time I heard them (and still to this day). This includes, but is not limited to pop (soda), supper (dinner), and a Davenport (sofa).

The West isn't innocent when it comes to silly phrases. Californians say things like hella, gnarly, and "I'm totally stoked!" and I'm sure people from the East would have a similar reaction to what I had when I was first introduced to the way they speak.

4. Dunkin vs. the world

On the West Coast, we have this magical little place called Dutch Brothers Coffee, or Dutch Bros for short. There are tons of flavor and drink options and friendly "broistas" to greet you and make your experience a happy one. They even offer dog treats for your fur baby can enjoy, too! Needless to say, I was disappointed when I moved out to Ohio and had to leave the ability to visit that little heaven behind. Here in Ohio, I have learned that Dunkin Donuts is the place to go. Personally, I believe that Dunkin is a tad bit overrated and doesn't have enough options, but I suppose if you like just flavored coffee (vanilla or caramel), it's a good spot. I also learned to never say anything negative about Dunkin or someone around you will ferociously defend it like it's their baby.

5. In-N-Out Burger

It is truly a tragedy that only the West Coast has the ability to enjoy this beautiful place.

6. Road trips

In California, if you drive for three (or five or even ten) hours, you can still be in the same state, which makes it difficult to fully enjoy the scenery if it's such an ordeal to get from point A to point B. Here, I've driven for three hours and been in another state, and six hours and I'm several states away already. It's amazing.

7. Clothing style

Fitting the stereotype, Californians tend to dress like we're going to the beach or taking a hike every day. If you have a group of us in a room, chances are that we will all be wearing shorts or board shorts, a loose shirt, and sandals of some kind. If we're not, we're dressing like we want to impress someone. During my time on the East Coast, I've noticed that people here tend to dress kind of preppy and more conservative than the West.

8. Manners

Maybe it's just a small town Ohio or a Midwest thing, but it seems like people here have more manners. People open doors for you, say please and thank you, stand when you enter the room and treat each other with respect. People in California, especially boys, do not even come close to that. They're not rude, just not as considerate.

9. Geography

In my hometown, there are mountains surrounding me, lots of trees, and multiple lakes. Even in the open farmland, you can see the mountains not too far off in the distance. On the East Coast, especially Ohio, it's all flat (with the exception of the Smokey Mountains). There are still trees, but not the kinds I see at home. The primary feature is corn fields.

10. Cost of living

$1.60 gas prices? That is amazing compared to the $3-4 prices that are so common on the West Coast. Prices in stores are lower, house prices are relatively lower, and lots more.

11. Venturing off

In talking to the friends I've made in Ohio, none of their future plans involve moving away from their home state, or from their coast. There's almost a hesitation to move out of that comfort zone. I understand not wanting to leave home. After college, I would love to move back west. But there's something about west coasters that makes them want to leave. Maybe it's a call for adventure, or wanting a taste of something new.

12. Old versus new

The East Coast feels very old and full of history. It was built longer ago than the western states, so that makes sense, but it seems as though some of the places have not been changed since the foundation was first laid 300 years ago. The West Coast has some spots that feel old, but it definitely feels more modern. Cities are newer, buildings are newer, things are constantly improving and being created.