I Am A Wild Child

I Am A Wild Child

I'm fearless and reckless but I have a big heart.

284
I Am A Wild Child
Nicole Powers

From the very beginning of my life, my parents knew I was going to be a handful.

I used to climb trees, play in the mud, skateboard where I was not supposed to. I did not listen to my parents the way I should have. As I got older, I did not hang out with the best group of kids, I did not always tell my parents the truth. I wanted to live life in a way that I could experience things.

Although I have grown up a lot, I am still the same wild child I was when I was little. However, my parents have realized this is something to embrace now and they actually find it refreshing. They worry often about what kind of trouble I am getting into at school, but they trust me to know that I have boundaries and lines that I will not cross.

I am responsible despite my crazy disposition. I have good grades and I try not to get into too much trouble, but I also know how to have a good time and live on the edge. I am very impulsive and I sometimes do not think all of my decisions through.

Any of my friends will tell you that I cannot be tamed or controlled, but this has caused problems in my romantic relationships. Most partners of mine fall in love with my wild personality, but they cannot handle it. They tire of my need for adventure, whether it is on a Saturday or Wednesday night.

There are times I can be reckless. There are times where I can be irresponsible. There are times where I can be irrational and impulsive, but I am fearless and maybe that will be my downfall. Most teenagers or young adults are fearless. They have not seen enough danger, so they think they are invincible.

I do not necessarily think I am invincible, but I think I am smart enough to know when things are too dangerous.

I do not take advice like I should. I learn from experiencing things. When my parents told me not to date that one kid, I did not listen. Yes, my heart was broken by the end, but I learned a lot from that relationship.

I once dyed my hair purple. My mom said "a small streak" but I took that as "a quarter of my head". Then I died the tips of my hair red two months before my junior prom in a mall bathroom. But the tips were really 2 or more inches. My step mom paid $90 to get my hair fixed because I did not see "Permanent" on the bottle.

It is not like I ever intended to be disrespectful or rebellious. I always just wanted to express myself. I knew I was different than other kids and I stood out of a crowd, so instead of internalizing it, I brought it to the surface, but now I have found other ways of doing that that does not include dying my hair or dating the wrong people (even though I am in college, so I still date the wrong people).

Now I have a nose piercing, tattoos, and a leather jacket, but I have learned that I can live my life and be a wild child without breaking as many rules.

I just hope someday I meet a wild child like myself and they can handle all of my craziness.