I Am A Millennial And I Am Embarrassed Of My Generation

How long will it take for us to realize?
1563

As I have reflected back on my first year of college, I think about the crazy parties, all-nighters spent at the library, and the random/weird things we would do. At the same time, I look back on my experience as a whole and think about what I have learned. Obviously, I learned a lot in my classes, but I believe I have learned more socially than academically. This past year was an eye opener, but I cannot take it any longer holding in how I have felt about my generation, and I believe it’s time to make a change.

One of the first things I had noticed socially is that everyone is scared to be social. Scared to not try new things, or scared to talk to someone. People are scared that things will be awkward, and to "avoid awkwardness" they sit on their phones (which is even more awkward). You literally have to throw yourself out there. People are too scared to face their fear of people. Hiding behind a phone or computer screen will do nothing to help you be more social.

The attitudes of people in my generation are also appalling. Everyone thinks they are entitled, and that the world will serve them, and they don’t have to lift a finger. Well, guess what, IT DOESN’T! In all honesty, the odds are never really in your favor.

Millennials think that they will automatically have the perfect job, or be rich right away. They look down their noses at others that are less fortunate. Mommy and Daddy won’t be there forever to pay for everything. For example, when I was a freshman in high school, I was sitting next to this girl in class. I tried talking to her but she looked me up and down and had a disgusted look on her face (Probably because I wasn’t wearing head to toe Lulu Lemon like she was) but still, IT LITERALLY DOESN’T MATTER IF I’M WEARING FANCY CLOTHES OR NOT, that doesn’t define who I am, or who anyone is. So many people judge on material things at my age, and it’s literally all about the brand when in reality, it isn’t.

Along with the judgment made on others, comes poor relationships. It could be a friendship, a romantic relationship, or a family member, it seems that 99 percent of the time people treat each other poorly. I know everyone else has experienced a falling out of a friendship, or a horrible relationship, and obviously, some annoying family members, but I am finding myself questioning if there really is good in people.

I only see it in a handful of people in my life that genuinely care, and the rest are almost irrelevant now. I’ve been burned too much in friendships and relationships, and I pray to God that someday those people will open their eyes.

While relationships aren’t quite real anymore, here comes along the sleeping around. Obviously, this comes with being in college and everyone goes a little crazy and that’s fine if you don’t go too crazy. But the amount and lack of self-respect, and respect for others, really disgusts me.

Don’t get me wrong, embrace the single life, but if you’re sleeping with 26 people in a semester, that might be a problem. You don’t develop the best reputation, and it seems that you invest more time in that, rather than school, or being successful if you go too far. Have fun with it, but have some self-respect, and remember why you are really here in the first place.

As much as we are young as Millennials, and really don’t know that much yet, I have learned enough to know that we are better than this, and if we make the right decisions, we will eventually realize that change needs to be made. Maybe I was born a few years too late, or I have realized too early.