Always Honor Your Mental Health

You Should Always Choose Your Mental Health Over 'Sticking It Out,' No Doubt About It

Although it might be scary, have enough self-respect to remove yourself from a negative situation rather than choosing to "stick it out."

47
Kelsey Dietrich

A truly challenging situation is one where you need to muster the greatest amount of courage in order to do something that you never thought you would have to do. More specifically, we will all be faced with making difficult decisions at some point in our lives and it will most likely occur at a time when we had never even worried about it. In fact, it will most likely be about something that we had never even spent time worrying could potentially happen.

And then it does.

Sometimes, there are situations where you are involved with people who are having a negative impact on your life or you find yourself stuck in an environment that is just sucking out all of your positivity. Perhaps you have found yourself invested in a job, class, or extra-curricular that is no longer serving you in a positive way. While it is understandable that it is not always possible to remove the negativity in your life all of the time, it is important to state that, if you do have this opportunity, then TAKE IT.

I cannot stress enough how imperative it is for you to always choose your mental health over "sticking it out." No matter what you are "sticking it out" for, your mental health comes first. No matter what it is that you are "sticking it out" in, your mental health comes first. No matter how many people tell you that "sticking it out" is worth it, your mental health comes first. No matter what people say to you about your healthy choice of not "sticking it out," your mental health comes first.

No matter what.

The risk of remaining in a place, whether that is physically or mentally, is much greater than leaving it. While the thought of leaving a negative environment is initially intimidating, sometimes we don't realize the true harm we are putting ourselves through in remaining there, merely for the sake of "sticking it out." Oftentimes, the fear of taking a risk in changing the situation outweighs the fear of what might happen to us if we stay where we are. However, you will feel so much better after taking the leap to drop whatever it is that is suffocating you. This may not come easily or right away (and if it does, even better!) but eventually, you will never believe how you used to survive in that negative situation.

Moreover, if it is impossible to remove yourself from a situation immediately, then you should still prioritize your mental wellbeing. Sometimes, we have to "stick it out" due to lack of resources, available support, or just life. Thus, finding healthy coping skills and attempting to reframe the situation in a positive mindset is crucial for cultivating acceptance and ultimately learning about yourself. After some time, you will figure out what's best for you.

Yet, if the only thing holding you back is the ease of continuing to "stick it out" and the fear of what is to come if you were to cease allowing this pattern of negativity into your life, then you may want to take some time to re-evaluate the situation.