'Always Keep Fighting': The Campaign Leading The Discussion Against Self-Harm

Moose and Squirrel say always keep fighting.

252
Homeboy

"Supernatural" is a captivating show with amazing actors, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. Most people see these two, fine men and cannot see past their good looks, but there is more than just this factor. In March of 2015, Jared Padalecki announced that he would be starting a campaign called 'Always Keep Fighting'. This campaign is to support those with mental health problems, such as risk of suicide and depression. The Always Keep Fighting campaign included selling shirts, sweatshirts, a beanie, and a letterman jacket. The proceeds went to To Write Love On Her Arms, The Wounded Warrior Project, and A.I.R. Attitudes In Reverse-Student Suicide Prevention-Mental Health. These are all great charities that help with depression, suicide prevention, addiction, and self-harm.

Jared has struggled with depression and knows what it is like to feel the pain. Just because he is a very popular actor with an adoring fan base doesn't mean he isn't human. Jared works through his depression daily and encourages the rest of us to do the same. Jared has not only struggled with depression himself, but has also lost two friends to suicide.

"On New Years Eve, my dear friend lost his battle with depression. This, unfortunately, wasn’t the first time I lost a personal friend to suicide, and it hurt me deeply, in a way that only a personal experience with suicide can. Though he wasn't the first friend I’ve lost to suicide, I sure hope he’s the last. I wish I had the chance to go back and tell them what they meant to me. I wish I had the chance to beg them to seek help, to keep fighting. I wish they knew that they were surrounded by countless others who struggle on a daily basis."
-Jared Padalecki

Jared was brave enough to tell his story to the world and I am hoping to gain some of that courage. When I was eight years old, I lost my mother to suicide. I am 19 now and the 11th anniversary of my mother's death has recently passed. I struggle with knowing that my mother did not see me graduate high school, will not see me graduate college, get married, buy my first house, or have a child. I have struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts for longer than I care to remember, but I am learning to live one day at a time. I have been in and out of therapy for most of my life, but nothing has stuck with me as much as this campaign. This campaign has touched my heart and soul. I have Jared to thank for that and I hope anyone out there who is feeling any pain will 'Always Keep Fighting.'

"Even if there are a thousand small fights, even if every other minute you’re thinking about suicide, or depression, or addiction, or if you have mental illness, I want people to hit it head on and take action. And to be proud that they’re winning their fight, period."
-Jared Padalecki

I want to dedicate this article to anyone in the world who is struggling with depression, addiction, thoughts of suicide, self-harm, or any mental illnesses. Remember to 'Always Keep Fighting.' Thank you to Jared Padalecki and the entire Supernatural family for this blessing.

If you want any more information about the 'Always Keep Fighting' campaign, or the other amazing work done by the Supernatural cast regarding this issue, click here.