The Importance of Being Yourself

The Importance of Being Yourself

Because an original is always better than a copy

2984
The Importance of Being Yourself
QuotesGram

We often hear the corny lines of "be yourself everyone else is already taken" or "the original is worth more than the copy," but sometimes we don't actually think about the importance of what it truly means to be yourself. Although being yourself is incredibly important, we have to remember that change is also natural, so over time, we might become different people- not because we want to be like others, but because this is how life has made us.

1. When you are yourself you are most confident.

Let's think about this one. When you wear clothes that make you feel the best and look that best you feel on top of the world, but let's say you start wearing clothes that don't make you comfortable or feel good just because someone else is wearing them you won't feel as confident. Imagine putting on shoes that are two sizes too small, they obviously won't make you feel good and the same thing goes if they are too big. You'll be tripping and falling the whole time.

2. If you make mistakes and bad decisions you'll always have roots to fall back on to find yourself again.

Everyone messes up, some very little and I'm extremely jealous of you, but some make a lot of mistakes whether they are very small or large and completely life altering. If you never formed your own original self there will be nothing to fall back on to try again. You won't be able to back to your own morals, boundaries, or goals because they were never yours to begin with.

3. You will never truly be happy if you aren't yourself.

By always conforming to others it is impossible to be happy. You are constantly thinking about what others think about you because you may not act or dress like them. By not being yourself you are just trying to make others happy, how can this make you happy? This will decrease your confidence, sense of self, and even make you very insecure.

4. Being yourself makes you special.

Think of what the word special means; unique, different, or even precious. By being special you are one of a kind, you stand out in a crowd (and yes THAT IS A GOOD THING!), and honestly it makes you much less of a boring person because you have so many different thoughts and ideas compared to everyone else.

5. If no one was ever different from the crowd how would anything in the world change?

If people weren't different from one another who would set trends, have new creative ideas, or even change the world. Okay the last one is a stretch, but if someone like Steve Jobs didn't think differently than someone like Bill Gates we wouldn't have half of the technology we do today. This can be applied to everything whether its medicine, food, music, or even clothes.

Just because you should be yourself doesn't mean you can't like or do the same things as other people. If you really love a certain type of music and its popular doesn't mean you that you aren't being yourself. This means you are listening to this music because you like it not because everyone else likes it and that's what matters the most. That you are yourself.