How To Stop Checking Social Media Every 5 Seconds
Social Media

rather than Check your Social Media every 5 seconds, Adopt These Meaningful Habits

Talking to a loved one will make you feel much better than seeing everyone's vacation photos on Instagram.

53

Although toxic, many of us check social media ALL the time, even when we probably don't want to or mean to. Whether I'm on my way to class, on my lunch break, or just bored, I find myself scrolling through Twitter or opening Snapchat for the sake of killing time. After a while, too much of this can be boring and detrimental to one's self-esteem. If you find yourself doing the same, here are a few alternatives.

1. Make a to do list

If you're anything like me, using your phone to check social media is probably a method of procrastination. Instead of putting off your responsibilities, write them down. Not only will this help organize your life and increase your chances of actually getting things done, but it will fill the time you're looking to pass.

2. Read a book

Who says a book needs to be read in one sitting? Reading small amounts at a time is great for those with a busy lifestyle who wish they had more time to read. The best part about reading is that it can be as mind consuming as you want to make it. If you find something you like, you'll never want to choose the internet over a book again.

3. Call someone to catch up

With your mind invested in your friend/family member, your unopened Snapchats will be the last thing on your mind. Even if it's just for a few minutes, talking to a loved one will make you feel much better than seeing everyone's vacation photos on Instagram.

4. Read/watch the news

It is always a good idea to stay informed. Although you're still on the internet, keeping up with current events never hurt anyone. With plenty of free online news sources, you are sure to find articles that spark your interests and can even help you to start conversations later on.