No One Even Likes Frat Basements Anyway

No One Even Likes Frat Basements Anyway

Alternatives to socializing in fraternity basements
33

I like to think that I am a relatively social person, but for some reason the social scene at Dartmouth doesn’t always appeal to me. It can be really fun to occasionally go out to frats and play pong or dance with friends, but most of my favorite nights in college have been really low key nights hanging out in places other than frat basements. Here’s a list of ways to have fun at Dartmouth that do not include hanging out in fraternity basements.

1. Star Gazing

Considering I’m legally blind, understandably I don’t tend to appreciate stargazing quite as much as the average person. However, laying out on the grass in the middle of the night with a bunch of friends can only be described as magical.

2. Having a picnic

I absolutely love finding a nice spot to picnic with some friends. It is so much fun to pack cute foods and be outside enjoying how beautiful Dartmouth’s campus really is. I tend to get pretty stressed about school, so sometimes taking a few minutes to eat a meal outside and appreciate where I am can be refreshing.

3. Going Hiking

New Hampshire is absolutely amazing and there are an infinite amount of places to go hiking. Whether it be a quick sunrike up Gile or a longer full day excursion, it is always fun talking to friends and getting some fresh air.

4. Making Pizza

Home cooked meals is one thing I miss a lot at school, so I absolutely love making home cooked “family” dinners with my friends. Pizza night was our most recent and it was super easy and delicious. I used to never consider myself a cook, but recently I have become quite domestic and I am pretty excited about that.

5. Going Swimming

Literally swimming at night, especially during the summer term, is for sure one of my favorite things to do at Dartmouth. The water is so quiet and peaceful. I love being with a group of people I am comfortable with, so that no one is uneasy with everyone jumping in and just enjoying the silence together.

6. Skiing

New England winters are horrible, but one great thing about going to school where it is freezing is the skiing. There are plenty of cute new England ski resorts close to campus that makes day trips during the winter super easy for students.

7. Netflix and Chill

Some of my absolute favorite nights is just hanging out and watching Gilmore Girls or other light hearted movies on Netflix. Whether it be 20 of my closest friends watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, or just my two roommates and I watching a movie with copious amounts of ice cream, I absolutely love these slumber party-esque nights.

8. Going to the farmers market

One great thing about New Hampshire is that there are literally farmer’s markets everywhere. While it can get quite expensive, farmer’s markets are charming and quaint. I love how valued farm to table groceries are, and I really enjoy being able to support them despite my college student budget.

9. Paddle Boarding

When the weather is beautiful, paddle boarding is such a great way to get out of the library and into the water. I personally love it because the water is so open and calm. I can go pretty much wherever I want with complete confidence that I won’t run into anything. It’s a great way to get to know people and a moderate workout.

10. Apples and Blueberry Picking

Apple and blueberry picking are exciting and fun activities to do in a group. I find it really relaxing and the fruit is literally amazing. I also love coming home with so much fresh produce. It’s always fun to bake with the fruit afterwards, and feed friends some homemade baked goods. The fruit is so natural and the experience as a whole is always memorable.

11. Hanging out with friends

At the end of the day I am pretty much happy doing just about anything with my closest group of friends at college. They are all so extraordinary, and I am so happy to have them in my life. They make Dartmouth feel like home, and I really don’t think I would have survived here without them.