Almost Losing Him

Almost Losing Him

December 15, 2015, 12:10 a.m., I got the worst call imaginable.

9
Almost Losing Him
Olivia Fulco

December 15, 2015, 12:10 a.m., I got a call from my boyfriend, Andrew, saying that after leaving my house in Providence, Rhode Island, heading towards Seekonk on 195 East on a rainy night he had hydroplaned, hit the jersey barrier and then was hit by a Gold Metal Bakery 18 wheeler which caused his car to do a complete flip.

After getting this call, I immediately grabbed my mom and ran for the car. I was driving towards him in less than a minute. The fact that he was able to call me seemed like a good sign but adrenaline can do wonders for a person. As we're driving, I get a call from Andrew's mom who was asleep and didn't hear her phone go off when he called, and having to tell her what was going on was the hardest part because I didn't even know everything yet except that he had gotten into an accident and an ambulance was on scene. As I pulled upto the scene, I saw the flashing red and blue lights and the traffic backed up and I knew we were there; the officers had coned off traffic to the two far right lanes but that didn't stop me and my mom from driving in the cones right up to the ambulance, the cop tried to tell me I had to stay in the car but I couldn't listen, like I said adrenaline does crazy things. I rushed upto the ambulance and before anyone can stop me I pulled open the back doors and hopped inside. After seeing his car demolished you imagine the worst thing possible yet when I climbed inside I was greeted by a smiling boy with barely a scratch on his arm and a "hey babe." I didn't even know how to react. We ended up at Rhode Island Hospital, and took some time before we could go in and see him so they could run tests and hook up an EKG of his chest. He had survived, somehow an accident that no one would've thought he'd even live from he walked out of the car himself and had a few scratches.

After this accident, we became even more spontaneous people than we were before; if anything this just proved that you have no idea when the last time you'd see someone was and I wasn't taking that risk again, so we started making memories at lightspeed. First was ice skating because he'd never been before so I took him to downtown providence in the middle of December which in my opinion is the most goregous time to go, Christmas music playing and the tree all lit up at the top of the stairs. But we did it and we conquered the ice rink If I do say so myself.

Then after that we did many things spur of the moment, we went to Martha's Vineyard, Yankees baseball games, NASCAR driving and even became mommy and daddy to a cute little dwarf hamster we named Gordon after Jeff Gordon and I even got to see Andrew graduate.

Almost losing him was the hardest thing I've ever gone through, but all the spontaneous memories we've created because of the accident have, in my opinion, brought us together so much more.

I love you Andrew Thomas ❤️

Thank you for staying safe and thank you to anyone above who helped keep him here for me