The Allure of "The Bachelorette"

The Allure of "The Bachelorette"

Real life isn't roses, but we'd like it to be.

37
The Allure of "The Bachelorette"
ABC.com

I've been watching "The Bachelorette" since its first season in 2003. I was six years old, way too young to even begin to understand the implications of the fantasy suite or the occupations of most of the contestants. I saw a beautiful girl in sparkly dresses, going on fun dates with a bunch of equally beautiful boys, which ended (hopefully) in a large ring on her hand. Even then I knew that I liked the show, I knew that it was fun and I liked watching it with my mom. Now, with the show in its twelfth season, I understand a little better why I'm certifiably obsessed with watching a random girl try to find love in this seemingly insane way.

People often view "The Bachelorette" as stupid and vapid. They seem to view the audience of the show, despite its massive success with all types of viewers, as a dumb, superficial, insecure girl. While I can agree that sometimes the plot is drawn out or the dates are stupid, "The Bachelorette" is a success for a reason, a reason that actually includes that so-called stupidity. If my mom, my brother and I can all be entertained by the same show for two hours, it must be doing something right.

The bachelorette on the show is never a celebrity, just an average girl from the previous season who typically won over the hearts of Americans everywhere while vying for her own bachelor. While they are always stunning and are made into celebrities overnight by becoming the bachelorette, these girls are, at the core, no different than the average American girl watching the show. They're relatable, even while in such a non-relatable situation, which is why we love them, and become obsessed with who they will choose when it comes down to that fateful final rose.

"The Bachelorette" is so unrealistic in terms of today's dating world, which gives us a weird hope for our own lives. Our leading lady has no way to Facebook stalk these guys before she goes on her first date with them, or meet any of their friends to see them in a different light. These guys applied to be on the show, they didn't just meet her randomly in a coffee shop. It's fun to watch the true colors of the contestants come out as the show goes on, and to watch the inevitable drama that ensues when twenty-five guys date the same girl. It all makes us wonder: if she can potentially find love in these completely unrealistic circumstances, can't we in the real world?

We love watching how a "normal" girl acts being the center of attention around all of these guys, which, let's face it, is a fairytale. We love seeing the lavish dates that the bachelorette gets whisked away on, and when she flies across the globe to make the show that more glamorous. We love feeling like maybe, just maybe, it can happen to us too. It's fun and entertaining, and realistic while at the same time completely ridiculous. If you're not already a part of Bachelor Nation, get on the bandwagon and clear your Monday night schedule, because you will definitely be glad you joined.