All You Do is Party

All You Do is Party

There's nothing else to do

59
All You Do is Party

Senior year was one of the most hectic times of my life thus far. Writing endless papers, filling out college applications, scholarship applications, keeping up your grades, all the while trying to enjoy the last few months you have in your hometown. I have lived in the same city, Mobile, Alabama my whole life. Mobile was my permanent residence until this year.

When applying to schools, Sewanee wasn't even on my radar, but I applied anyway. I thought I wanted a huge state school, where I could truly "find myself", or at least that's what I thought would happen. By late March, I had my prospective schools narrowed down to two: Sewanee and a state school.

After I visited Sewanee during "Experience Sewanee" in late April, I instantly knew that was the place for me. I was ecstatic that I had made the big decision.

During May, I began telling people where I was going to school, and to my dismay, I was almost always greeted with the response, "You know all they do is party, right? That's all there is to do up on that mountain". At first, this really concerned me, and I thought maybe I had made the wrong decision, maybe I wasn't going to get the solid education at Sewanee I was searching for.

I am now done with my Freshman year, and have gained a lot of perspective on Sewanee, my now home. These are just a few of the things I've found in Sewanee that make it my new and forever home.

1. The SUT has many fabulous movies to offer. The tickets are only $3 per student, the best part? The popcorn is only $2, and there are comfortable couches in the back. If I am feeling fancy, I will venture with my friends off the mountain to the Drive-In Movie Theatre in Estill Spring, Tennessee, a short 40 minute drive. There's nothing like sitting in a car watching a classic movie on such a big screen, it takes me back in time.

Hiking is of course a favorite Sewanee attraction, but there are pretty cool destinations within the perimeter: Proctor's Hall, Bridal Veil Falls, the Forestry Cabin, just to name a few. There is a top ten hikes list on the Sewanee Website, all of which are sure to be crowd pleasers: http://www.sewanee.edu/media/student-life/explore/...

3. CRU and Crew are sure to provide confusion, but they are just a few of the wonderful activities and clubs at Sewanee. CRU, Campus Crusades for Christ, provides a little piece of home for me. Being involved in the bible study helps keep things consistent in life, it fills many of my spiritual needs. Rowing is by far one of the most serene activities I participate in. Waking up at 5:15 on those freezing November days sounds like torture to most, but it's quite exhilarating...well after you're on the water rowing and getting the blood moving. Seeing the sunrise on Lake Dimmick is like no other; whether you do Crew or not, I would suggest witnessing one of these sunrises at least once, that is if you can find a day fog isn't thick...but let's be honest, Fog Happens.

4.TheOutreachOffice is where I spend a lot of my time, mainly because it is my work study, but also because it ROCKS. Walk in there on any given day and ask if there are any service opportunities, I promise you there are. Housing Sewanee, with Dixon Meyers is always a good choice. A house was finished this year, but hopefully another house will be built. I also love working concessions, it allows me to interact with other students and lots of alumni, parents, and faculty. There are also tons of clubs that have service opportunities, just seek them out.

5. Mountain Goat Market because we all know it's where any and all money we have is spent, and any day there is a good day.

But let's be honest, Sewanee kids know how to balance work and play. YSR