#AllWordsMatter

#AllWordsMatter

Before you think this is in support of #AllLivesMatter, give my words a chance.

16
#AllWordsMatter
Blogspot - Il Blog Della Curiosana

I'm a communications major, which means I am literally spending four years studying words, even more intensely than an English major. The "study of words" does not sound impressive, so we instead refer to it as rhetoric. The thing about rhetoric is that almost anything can be classified as a rhetorical act. Before we start analyzing persuasion in art and political scandals, however, we start by looking at simple discursive texts like speeches. If there's anything I can say I've learned in my two years of college so far, it's that every word is important. The way we use symbols to describe the world around us reveals more about us than we may expect.

It is important that Melania Trump plagiarized phrases in her speech from Michelle Obama. It is also important to realize that this is not the first time this has happened in politics, and definitely will not be the last. Giving anyone reason to doubt your words and their authenticity is a shot to your credibility - your ethos.

It is important to point out that Barack Obama is not comfortable with adding the words "radical Islamic" to "terrorism" when it's known to be the case. It makes us question if he has allegiance to something other than the country he was elected to serve. No, he may not be secretly Muslim, but is he valuing economic interests over integrity and national security?

It is important that #AllLivesMatter is not as innocent as a phrase as it is portrayed; it is meant to negate #BlackLivesMatter, not include it. This hashtag only exists to silence those who vocalize political issues affecting the black community. Those who oppose its use do not oppose the statement itself, but the use of it to block discussion about injustices against a group.

It is important that Michelle Carter, who manipulated her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, into committing suicide, be held accountable for her crime. This teen, living in Massachusetts, made headlines for what should be deemed manslaughter. She took advantage of someone emotionally and convinced them to take their own lives. She used her words to get her way and after, used more deceitful words to get sympathy for her "loss." Despicable.

It is important to remember that the only valid form of consent is clear and verbal when it comes to sex. "Maybe" is not a yes, and "no" is definitely not a "keep trying to convince me." Alcohol only leads to problems when it comes to sexual consent, and can cause problems for both partners. Men and women can both be hurt by the problems that result from issues of consent, and the only way to overcome this is to talk it out and talk through it.

It is important to acknowledge that Donald Trump's platform includes many false promises that will not come to fruition. It is also important to acknowledge that though he himself may not be racist, his rhetoric inspires those who are. Even if someone does not have bad intentions, if those who look up to them do, they must take responsibility for their words/actions. Hillary Clinton, too, must be held accountable for the words she put into her emails that she sent that threatened national security, whether those words were spoken or typed out.

It is important to remember that there are words that really do hurt, and that what many call being "politically correct" today is often just basic human respect. There are so many offensive slurs against minorities, from the N-word to faggot to b*tch, that are all used to degrade people and compare them to a color, an animal, or something to be burned. There are many people that try to "reclaim" words as their own, such as embracing the term queer, but it is also important to remember that bringing the word back into common usage may give others the right to use it, too.

It is important to emphasize that, from childhood to adulthood, men and women are socialized into their gender roles by the way people speak to them. Men and women are often expected to follow different career paths, have different hobbies, and follow traditional parenting models. Boys are often told they "throw like a girl," suggesting that women are weak or not cut out for sports, and is meant to shape their perception of what masculinity through negation. Girls are often reminded to strive for marriage and motherhood rather than career advancement.

It is important to note that black shooting victims are often described as "suspects" in the media, even when they are innocent. This specific wording ascribes to the victims a sense of guilt where one may not even exist. This is posthumous character assassination, trying to justify police shootings that should never have happened.

It is important to be thankful that (those who practice a religion) have those religious texts available to them at any time. Many of these religions were passed down through oral tradition, and only in the past 500 years have ordinary citizens been able to have personal copies of the texts that shape their beliefs. It is extremely important, I must add, that if you're going to hold a belief and say that it represents what your religion values, that the book in your hand actually agrees with what you're trying to say it does.

It is important to remember that in many countries, the United States especially, you are granted the freedom of speech, religion, press, petition and assembly. Through the Fifth Amendment, you also have the right to remain silent during criminal proceedings (your Miranda rights). You cannot be forced to speak through torture, and you are free from censorship when your speech does not cause others harm. These freedoms are important to cherish, just as voting is even more of a civic duty than a privilege.

Finally, I'd like to call out anyone who has the power to use their voice for good, and refuses to. We have celebrities with large fanbases and politicians with many connections in this country who refuse to speak up for the causes that matter to us. While everyone's voice is important, there are those whose voices can ring out louder than ours. #AllWordsMatter - we may not feel like one little rhetorical act will make a difference, but that should never stop us from pursuing what is right and good.