All About Project Implicit

All About Project Implicit

Here is something nifty.

39
All About Project Implicit
Roman Dritts

I heard about this test last semester while reading the White Working Class and decided to check it out. Project Implicit deals with identifying people’s thoughts and feelings outside of their control. There is not one person on the planet that is free from bias, and yet we are quick to say that we are not. How often have you heard someone say that they aren’t racist or sexist? They may not be deliberately biased, but that gets down to the nitty gritty of Project Implicit. The point is that people do not believe that they carry prejudice around with them, but they so often do. The Project asks that people recognize that they may carry bias and seeks to identify where the bias lies.

The site now has three sections with multiple tests in each section: social attitudes, mental health, and the featured task (the presidential candidates). The tests within the social attitude range from race, religion, gender, and religions, among many others. Each tests measure goes through a series of pictures and words, looking at automatic preferences people hold toward specific topics. These tests are so important in seeing where you sit on the issues, even if you think there is not an issue. The mental health tests work to identity your reactions towards different mental disorders and people with those illnesses. I find this section to be interesting as society begins speaking more about mental health issues.

All you need to do is take ten to fifteen minutes out of your day to go take a test. Be honest and see where you fall for different issues and then consider the analysis of the test. You might be surprised at your results.