A Review Of "Alice: A Syfy Original Mini-Series"

"Welcome to a whole new Wonderland."

97
Pinterest.com

“Alice” is a 2009 Syfy original mini-series comprising of two two-hour long episodes, and so it is technically a four-hour long feature film. I am going to treat it as such so that I may justify myself in doing a ‘movie review’ on it.

This ‘movie’ actually has some pretty big name actors such as Caterina Scorsone, Kathy Bates, Colm Meaney, Matt Frewer and Tim Curry. It currently has a 7.3-star rating on IMDb.com, despite having only aired a single time on Syfy in December, the first half on the 6 and the last half on the 7. It managed to win multiple Leo Awards for being the best in several areas in a feature length drama and was nominated for a couple of Primetime Emmy Awards.

“Alice” is loosely based on Lewis Carroll’s novel “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland" but it takes a totally new perspective on the classic tale and goes at it from a more fantastical angle. The film is both literal and interpretive, using people as all the characters, but giving them the qualities of an animal when applicable. Alice (Caterina Scorsone) is in love with a man who gets kidnapped and so Alice chases down a man with a white beard and a pocket watch, later revealed to be White Rabbit (Alan Gray), until she falls into a giant mirror and down into Wonderland, where the real journey begins.

I don’t want to ruin any of the creative and interesting moments in this rendition of the classic children’s story, but just know that this version is almost a totally new story full of mystery and more adult problems than the original plot included.

This is one of my favorite recreations of “Alice in Wonderland” and that is largely due to the small timespan that it was easily experienceable (trust me, it is fairly difficult to find this online and the only way to find a decent quality version is to simply buy the DVD).

You will probably like this two episode mini-series if you are a fan of other fantasy shows such as “Tin Man”, “Once Upon a Time”, “Neverland” or any “Alice in Wonderland” film in general.