Have you ever been forced to read a book because it was on your mandatory summer reading list sophomore year? Well, same. Normally I'm not a huge fan of any book that I'm required to read but one did happen to stay with me through the years. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is by far one of the most influential books that I've had the pleasure to read. To briefly summarize the plot, The Alchemist is about a young boy searching for his treasure and on his journey encounters love, adventure and knowledge of the world as well as himself. The book is filled with life changing quotes. I literally have four written in sharpie on my wall just for daily inspiration. My mom wasn't thrilled about this but YOLO.
- “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
- “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.”
- “Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.”
- “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
- “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
- “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
- “Eat when it's time to eat. And move along when it's time to move along.”
- “The fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself"
Not only do the quotes relate to love and life, but they touch on one's own strength and that's why I adored the book so much. Whenever you need an extra push or you're feeling a bit uninspired I recommend picking you up some Paulo Coelho. If you don't have time to read the whole thing then at least just read some quotes because they're truly enlightening.