Being An Avanti Orientation Leader At The University Of Alabama
Freshman

I Spent My Summer As An Alabama Avanti. Best. Decision. Ever.

It has definitely been one of the longest summers of my life but also the best summer of my life.

785
alabama orientation avanti
Lexi Link

I spent this summer as an orientation leader for The University of Alabama. We call ourselves Avantis. Avanti — this simple word means moving forward. We call ourselves this because we are helping the incoming students move forward and transition into their new lives as a college student. Do not be fooled by the simplicity of the job because it is so much more than just showing students how to register or how to be a successful student here at the capstone.

This job has had many challenges, good and bad, and has taught me more than I could have ever imagined, about people, the university, and myself. This job has taught me where every building on campus is, every resource the university offers, Alabama is always hot, and that there is a limited number of clean and appropriate songs.

One of the challenges of being an Avanti, is the long days, very long days, but it is worth it. You are surrounded by 80 of your new best friends, you are helping all the incoming students find their way, and you are making memories that will last a lifetime. I met some of my best friends being an Avanti and had some of the best times of my college experience thus far, but the times were not always so great.

There were days where you were so exhausted you did not know how you were going to make it through the day. There were days where things simply got out of control and the students would be more challenging than others, which made it difficult to keep a positive attitude. To be honest with you all, there were days I wanted to quit, it is an extremely demanding job that I did not think I could handle, but I made it, we all did.

We made it through all 22 Bama Bounds, tirelessly running around campus, shaking our shakers, screaming the fight song, and answering endless questions about where the closest bathroom was. I can honestly say it was worth it. It was worth sleepless nights and every ounce of literal sweat that went into it.

I am walking away from this summer not only with 80 new friends, countless memories, laughs, and tears but with a new outlook on life. I learned to never underestimate the power of a smile, no matter how tired or annoyed you are. Always be willing to help a hand because working together makes things so much easier. Communicate, communicate when you're upset or are not sure. Ask questions, it is better to ask questions and seem annoying than to do the wrong thing. Make the best of each and every day because they count, even when the day seems hopeless, make the best of it.

It has definitely been one of the longest summers of my life but also the best summer of my life. Aside from making some amazing new friends, I got to establish some amazing connections with the incoming students, learned so much about this amazing University that made me love it even more and getting a few extra Instagram followers wasn't too bad either.

If you are thinking about becoming an Avanti, or a member of any orientation team, do it. It will be one of the best decisions of your life, who knows who you will meet or what new possibilities and opportunities will arise. If nothing else you will walk away having learned something. Barriers will be broken and you will walk away better than you came in.

Thank you to The University of Alabama orientation office for one of the best summers of my life and thank you to each member of the team and my mentor fam for all the lasting memories, I love you guys. #AFL