aiport feel

The Airport Atmosphere

Life is quick, but if we take the time to sit down and look around us, we might just learn something.

617
The Airport Atmosphere

"All human life can be found in an airport," said David Williams. I have never read a more truthful quote, well I probably have - but this one is pretty true.

To preface, growing up, my family and I always traveled, but we always drove lengthy car rides instead of flying on an airplane. With a family of seven, the airfare gets quite costly, so it is definitely understandable. I got on my first airplane to Atlanta about four years ago, and it was actually a monumental experience. I could not believe all of the years that my family has driven on vacations and how long it took to get places, yet you can hop in an airplane and be across the country in four hours. Though I will never ride in a vehicle more than five hours ever again, I will definitely cherish those hours spent in the car with my family forever.

My most recent flight experience was in June 2018 to California, and this is when I truly realized my love for airports. I know most of you are thinking I am insane – but I promise, if you read further you might think otherwise. On that thought, most of my life I have heard people complain about airports and plane rides. I never truly understood it – I guess it is because I like it so much and I only have done it a few times; I block out the negatives that may come along with it.

I love to travel to new destinations, but I also love the journey of getting there.

I woke up at 4:00 am to get to the airport two hours early, so my husband and I could get a good parking spot, submit our checked bag, go through the customs, and then hop on the plane to LAX. Four hours later, we hopped off the plane at LAX. (See what I did there?) We then go to baggage claim, get on a bus that takes us to our rental car, and then go check in our hotel.

You might be wondering, "how can this girl think any of this is fun?"

You see, you missed what all happens between the "to-do" list.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of people who will be traveling in and out of that airport in just that one day.

People coming from all walks of life.

Different cultures, different languages, different accents, different personalities, different destinations for different reasons.

Somehow so many different people are in one place to be dispersed into different parts of the world.

Isn't that beautiful?

Our past trip, coming back to Kentucky from California, our flight was delayed 9 hours.

Most would be absolutely livid – full of frustration and anger.

However, my husband and I were the complete opposite.

We were able to eat breakfast and lunch in the airport, so that was a first. We were able to see hundreds and hundreds of people scurry to their gate number. We saw the people getting ready to board a plane to Hawaii have a Hawaiian party right in the airport. We saw people running so they wouldn't miss their flight. We saw businesspeople traveling with their briefcases. We saw children with their mini suitcases. We saw happiness, stress, and frustration; but most of all – we saw people in a new light.

It was beautiful.

I once read this quote, "Sometimes in life, we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey." This quote holds so much truth and is something that each and every one of us needs to be reminded of every day.

So whether you travel in a vehicle or an airplane, don't forget to look out the window, look around you, and take in each and every experience that this life gives us.