Can Tech Writers Compete In The Age Of AI?

We may be hurtling faster and faster into a world of chatbots, AI writing assistants, and self-driving cars, but here's why that shouldn't scare us.

10

The rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in our daily lives is currently an unavoidable reality. With all the new technological advancements, our lives are becoming more streamlined and efficient. But what's in store for the individuals whose jobs AI may soon be replacing? And as for technical writers -- communication experts -- what happens to our lives if AI writing assistants like Grammarly or Hemingway become the default option?

When we think about the rise of artificial intelligence, we often think of the positive changes that these creations would have on our lives: optimization in the workplace, faster response times, and less need for human labor. But we also can't help but consider the drawbacks that life with AI also has: the possibility of them replacing our jobs, and thus replacing us, by doing the work better, or even creating a new reality where human life is outworn, antiquated, or obsolete.

It can be easy to get caught up in the negativity surrounding AI but there's no need to worry. AI is not taking over your career. Not yet, anyway. To quote Dr. Kai-Fu Lee, Chariman and CEO of Sinovation Ventures, "Humans are uniquely able to give and receive love. And that's what differentiates us from AI."

Love, compassion, and care giving are what make us humans human. While AI has numerous highly advanced capabilities, it cannot feel or process emotion; therefore, it cannot produce the same quality of emotive content as human writers can.

Proficient technical writers often foster creativity to come up with fresh new ways to make a service or product appealing to consumers. Not only are we responsible for writing clear and accurate textual content, we're responsible for developing compelling visual elements as well. To do so, we learn about the consumer, the audience, the client. We have conversations with them, conduct research, take surveys, etc. These tasks require a level of interpersonal communication that AI technology does not yet have. Simply put, so long as we as writers continue to nurture and maintain our creativity, our compassion, and our humanness, AI won't be able to keep up.