Struggles International Travel Questions

14 Aggravating Questions Only International Travelers Will Understand

No, your five-hour-flight to Hawaii does not count as international travel.

4

Vacationing out of the country may sound like a dream come true, but with every good thing comes several bad things. The dark side of international travel is no joke — how long can you last on a plane with a crying infant?

1. Why is this flight so torturous?

Most international flights exceed ten hours — how can one survive that long in such cramped conditions?

2. Why must parents bring their children on this fifteen-hour flight?

It's inconvenient for the children, it's inconvenient for the parents and it is most definitely inconvenient for the other passengers.

3. Why did I suddenly wake up at 3 A.M?

Jetlag. Probably.

4. Why do I feel so disconnected from my friends?

Again, time zones work wonders. Along with jetlag, they cause feelings of immense loneliness, especially if you're traveling alone without anyone to talk to. When you're in a different country, not everyone is awake when you are (and vice versa).

5. Why did I pack so much?

You spent so much time packing your entire wardrobe into your suitcase, only for it to be your last week on vacation and realizing you didn't even wear three-quarters of the clothes you brought. What a shame.

6. My suitcase shouldn't weigh that much. So why does it weigh that much?

The answer to this is simple: the grass is greener on the other side. Or, in this case, cheap keychains and souvenir t-shirts really are better when you buy them internationally.

7. How much would this cost in USD?

I can say from first-hand experience that I would always "convert" the price of whatever I was about to buy into USD, so I would be sure I wasn't paying too much. (It didn't matter, though; I always bought it in the end.)

8. Why does it take so long to go through customs?

Passport scanning has never been so tedious.

9. Why has my flight been delayed...again?

I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to stay in this airport for another two hours.

10. How many more movies can I watch before this flight is over?

If "Captain Marvel" is approximately two hours long, I'll still have...nine hours before we land/

11. Is it even worth packing a parka jacket for the plane ride, only to have to change into t-shirt and shorts when I get off?

The best thing about flights are probably the freezing temperatures.

12. Why is this the most disgusting food I've ever eaten?

Airplane food is always gross.

13. Why did they lose my baggage again?

No amount of money can replace any of my personal belongings.

14. How will I get from Point A to Point B?

media.giphy.com

Public transport is always an option, but it's not always the most convenient.