What To Expect After You Graduate

What To Expect After You Graduate

What you don't learn about the real world while in school.

20
What To Expect After You Graduate
Ann C. Kielbasa

My senior year of college was most definitely my most challenging year. I was juggling three jobs, school work and somewhat of a social life. It was definitely not an easy task and free time was not something that I had much of. However, on May 14, 2016, I finally received my Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design. After four long years, I had finally finished my college career. It was a beautiful day, not too hot with a gentle breeze. My closest friends and family were attending the commencement ceremony, and I was sitting with the people I had spent the last year really getting to know. That day flew by and went in slow motion at the same time. It was bizarre, to say the least.

I had spent the last two years working at the Student Success Center, which assists students with career advancement. It was time to practice what I was preaching. I started applying for jobs in March, almost three months before I graduated. My resume was top-notch, my portfolio was ready for employers to view, and I had about ten jobs bookmarked and ready for me to apply to. Not to mention, my interview clothes were far from sub-par.

Now, nearly a month and a half later my life is completely different. I no longer adhere to a strict schedule, hand in assignments and, sadly, no longer get to swipe my student ID for meals. I have gone from three to zero jobs and now have plenty of free time.

I’ve applied to about 20 jobs and have been on about five or six interviews, and haven’t received any job offers. This is what they don’t teach you about in school, the after college struggles. Here’s what I’ve learned thus far:

1. Job hunting is difficult.

It’s especially difficult when you live in an area that’s not saturated in jobs related to your field. You’ll apply to many jobs and only hear back from a fraction of them, and yes it will get discouraging. The key is to keep your head up and keep applying. If you hit a brick wall, reach out to your school’s “Student Success Center.” They’ll be more than willing to assist you with some job searching. After all, that’s what they’re there for.

2. Be prepared.

With all your free time, you can make sure your resume is up to date, correctly laid out, and spell checked. You will need to stand out from the rest of the crowd applying for that same job (in a good way). Don’t just Google your job descriptions, and don’t use the phrase “excellent team player.” They’ve all seen that. Make sure you practice what you’ll say in an interview, the questions will range from “Why are you qualified for this job?” to “Who is the real [Your Name Here]?” and make sure you have some key interview clothes. A blazer is a must!

3. Learn to budget.

Times will be tough for a little while. You may have to pass up on some nights out with old friends, or have some quiet nights in with them. You’ll need to save up some money. You won’t be able to get to those interviews on an empty tank of gas. It’s time to prioritize.

4. It’s OK to move back home.

Moving back home can have its pros and cons. For starters, you will save a lot of money when moving back home, little to no rent is a huge pro. Not to mention, the home-cooked meals, laundry service, and the utilities are included for free! Try not to be a complete “free-loader” though, offer to help out around the house, cook a few meals, or chip in for groceries. Your parents will think you’re on your way to becoming a responsible adult. A big downside, though, is the lack of privacy and the reduced amount of freedom you may feel. For the last 2-4 years, you’ve either lived in a dorm with another person your age or have completely lived on your own. If you move back home, it may feel like you’re back in high school. Talk it out with your parents, know your limitations and express your feelings about being treated like an adult. But always remember, respect their house and their expectations.

Graduating from college is both the beginning and the end of something. But as we all know, it’s a part of life. What’s that cliché line? It's just another chapter in your never-ending story.