Dear Affluent White Girls, It's OK To Be A Feminist

Feminism is the belief that women are EQUAL to men not that they are BETTER than men.
384

Okay yes, this is ANOTHER feminist article that you have probably stumbled upon. You might be a feminist, or you might be thinking "I want to read this article to piss myself off". We all do it.

I just recently read an article that said us, women, should be thankful because we have more rights and ever. I am linking the article here if you would like to read it. We should not fight for equality because it is rude to men. This article was written by a person, who seemed much like me on paper. White. College-aged. From a stable and forgiving background. And a woman.

She said that we are not acting like the true meaning of feminism by marching around and throwing fits for attention. Well, I have some thoughts about that.

Feminism is the belief that women are EQUAL to men. This means job security, representation, and equal salaries for the same position. It also means equality under protection, sexual violence, and the right to decide what happens with my body.

I think many girls from my background are fed information about how feminism is "bad" and that when women really, they aren't helping themselves in any way. About a year ago, a young woman, much like myself, was complaining about how she had to sing the national anthem at a women's rally with her choir from her all-female private college. This is ironic to me and just downright confusing.

Many females that do not support the feminist movement are much like this and come from a background of privilege and haste.

To the women who are against the feminist movement, you are not immune to the lower income you will receive. You are not immune to violence, but instead, be forced to suppress these injustices. You are not immune to the sexual harassment or assault.

There are many ways to be a feminist, affluent white females. No, you don't have to march with your fellow women. No, you can still believe in the right to life. No, this doesn't mean you are automatically a socialist liberal--you can still be conservative if you so, please.

This means that you can speak. You can declare that you deserve to be paid the same amount for the same work as a man gets paid. You can have a voice against violence. You can have the right to say no.

No matter your background, you can be a feminist.