7 Affirming Bible Verses For Those Struggling With Self-Image

You are beautifully and wonderfully made in the image of God, and it's time to start viewing yourself that way.

921

It can be hard to love ourselves when we start to focus on every little flaw that we have on our bodies, especially given the prevalence of social media in our society. We see bikini pictures on Instagram and gym selfies on Snapchat and compare ourselves to others' bodies, which can make it hard to find beauty in our own. It's important to remember in these moments lacking self-love that God made us in His image, and He loves us so much!

Let these Bible verses help you remember His goodness and trust in it during times of self-doubt.

1. "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

First and foremost, God wants you to be happy. He loves you SO much, and he wants to help you when you need Him. Be open with God when you feel self-conscious and entrust in Him all of your worries; He will lift you up and help you when you are struggling to see your worth.

2. "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

From the very beginning of time, God destined you to be beautifully made in His own divine image. If we see ourselves as God does — His child, made in His own image — then how could we ever look lowly on ourselves? You are part of His most divine creation, and you should look at yourself as such.

3. "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Psalms 139: 13-14

God knew you and loved you before any thought of you even existed on Earth. He crafted you exactly how He wanted you, in His image and by His divine hand. God doesn't make any mistakes, and all of His creations are good. Just as you find beauty in God's creations in nature, you should honor and praise the beauty of God's creation found in yourself, too.

4. "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.'" 1 Samuel 16:7

While God did create you perfectly in His image, He was not solely looking extrinsically at your body. You are beautiful on the outside, but to live your life as God intends, you should look more to the beauty and kindness of your soul rather than your outward appearance. How you look on the outside pales in comparison to God's will and the great plans He has for you.

5. "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

It's important to recognize in moments of self-doubt that God is within you. Your body is beautiful because it was made by Him, and He dwells within it. You should view your body as a sacred temple because it houses the Lord.

6. "And those whom he predestined He also called, and those whom He called He also justified, and those whom He justified He also glorified." Romans 8:30

God chose you for a specific purpose, calling you by name. You are glorious because you have been handpicked by Him, with His plan in mind. Your being should be praised and adorned, not looked at as anything less than a glorious creation of the Lord.

7. "'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine... Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you,'" Isaiah 43:1,4

In these verses, God is telling you just how much He loves you and cares for you. Despite your "flaws" and imperfections, you are precious in God's eyes. God chose you specifically to walk the Earth and spread His message, and you should never doubt His plan or creations. You are His, made perfectly and purposefully.

Although it may be hard in times when you are lacking self-love, try to remember that you are a child of God, made in His image. Detach yourself from the worldly standards of beauty and instead look to your Creator who designed you flawlessly. If you listen to His word, you will be able to see yourself as beautifully and wonderfully made, with a specific purpose and plan in mind, just as He wants you to.