A&E's 'Bates Motel': The Best, Worst, And Downright Craziest Moments

When you think you've seen it all, think again.

445
Collider

For those of you who have binge-watched Bates Motel to your heart's content, it hasn't taken you a lot of time to understand how much of a mind-bending and twisted television show it can be. As for the others who aren't aware, I highly suggest you make your reservation ASAP. It's an edge-of-your-seat drama, and the performances from actors such as Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, and Nestor Carbonell, are nothing short of spectacular.

As season four has recently come to a close, I've decided to recap all of the Bates Motel top moments, from the most heart-warming to the absolute cringe-worthy. To all of the new motel guests, caution yourself, as there are spoilers ahead!

Norman Breaks Down At Ms. Watson's Funeral

By season two, we realize that the Bates family can't ever cut themselves a break with all of the problems arising in White Pine Bay. As emotional of a boy that Norman is, his feelings take a turn for the worst when his favorite school teacher, Ms. Watson, suddenly passes, and he becomes an emotional train wreck. The most unsettling part of this episode, you ask? Norman murdered Ms. Watson during one of his consequential blackouts, and he doesn't know or remember he is the reason she is dead.

The Most Awkward Goodbye Of All Time

By this point in the series, we've realized that Sheriff Alex Romero is absolutely smitten over Norma, as troubled and crazy as she can be. In this scene, he thanks her for having him stay at the motel for four months after his home was burned down to the ground. He tries to make a move and show even the slightest sign of affection towards her, but Norma clearly isn't at the stage of reciprocating his feelings for her. I have to admit that I did laugh out loud during this scene, but my amusement was for everyone involved and feeling uncomfortable, both the audience and the characters themselves. I do give credit to Romero for trying to be so sweet, however!

Norman's Unsettling Alibi

After nearly falling apart and cracking under the pressure of being questioned from Romero about Ms. Watson's death, Norman takes some time to calm himself down and block the disturbing images in his mind. He soon after agrees to take a lie detector test to determine whether or not he committed the crime, as Ms. Watson's pearl necklace is suddenly discovered in his possession. During the test, Norman's imaginary version of his mother appears and convinces him that he did not murder Ms. Watson. When the test administrator asks the most important question we've all been longing for, Norman responds with a strong and persuasive, "No." He passes the test without any further questions asked.

A Drunk Call Says It All

In season three, Romero lets alcohol take care of all of the pain and worries clustered in his mind from the recent events he has experienced. As a public official, he obviously immediately regrets doing so as soon as it happens, but he then ends up calling Norma to help him get back on his feet. She drives him back to the motel and allows him to get some rest, but as soon as she is about to leave him be, he spits out, "I think you're beautiful." Norma laughs and responds with, "You're drunk. You're not going to like that you said that to me tomorrow." This was a bittersweet scene because Romero again tries to express his love and appreciation for Norma, even if it means he embarrasses himself in doing so. Yet, at this point in time, Norma still can't shake away the nerves of becoming fully committed in a new romantic relationship with Alex.

Norman Believes His Mother Is To Blame

Norman's illness takes a turn for the worst when he begins to believe that Norma has murdered the handful of innocent women in White Pine Bay, however, he had ended each of their lives in the first place. The cause of this is that Norman has a way of twisting memories and certain scenarios in his mind, and he envisions and embodies his mother acting out instead of himself. He does this subconsciously and fails to recognize that he has created a disturbing version of his mother within himself. Needless to say, my stomach was flipped on its side for most of these troubling moments in season four.

A Marriage For Insurance?

In the beginning of season four, Norma is desperate to get Norman into the Pineview Mental Institution so that he can be treated for his violent blackouts. In order to be able to keep up with the expensive bills, she takes a risk and asks Romero to marry her solely for insurance purposes. Their marriage ceremony is hands down one of the most beautiful scenes in the entire series. Norma's face says it all when Alex presents the ring and puts it on her finger. In this very moment, she begins to realize that he really has cared for her since they've met, and that he wishes to have their relationship develop into something more in the near future. She always had the thought of him having feelings for her in the back of her mind, but she avoided it for most of the first three seasons because she was too preoccupied with caring for her son.

Norma Tells The Truth

At this point in season four, Norma and Alex have been married for nearly two weeks, and Norma has just become accustomed and comfortable in having a romantic relationship with him. When Chick Hogan, an acquaintance of Dylan (Norman's brother), comes into the picture and offers to fix Norma's broken window, he jeopardizes their strong, loving relationship. Chick has come to realize the harsh truth about Dylan's father and why he is and was rarely in the picture in the Bates family. When Chick discovers that Alex has yet to know about their past, he threatens to tell him if Norma doesn't do it herself.

Norma ultimately cracks under the pressure and tells Alex what really happened. She explains that she has never understood what it felt like to love and trust someone so strongly, and that that is the reason why she has kept Dylan's past a secret. She continues and says that he might as well pack his bags and leave, as she didn't want to place such a harsh burden on him.

After a long pause, Alex responds and says, "OK. Where are we going?" This was by far one of the most heartwarming and memorable moments of the entire series because a single sentence stated from Alex shows his passionate feelings for Norma. He is able to see beyond the fact that she is clearly scattered, fragile, and unstable, and he is more willing to love and support her in her times of need.

An Intense Rivalry

In the end of season four, Norman is infuriated upon discovering that Romero and his mother were hiding their marriage from him while he was away at Pineview. He is disgusted with the idea of someone who was once a stranger suddenly finding his way into the family, and he is jealous of his mother sharing her love with her new husband rather than he himself, like she has always done. Romero desperately tries to help Norman adjust to having a new father figure in his life, but Norman just isn't having any of it.

When their frustration comes to an all-time high, Norman does the unthinkable -- he attempts a murder-suicide and ends up killing his mother, the woman he and Alex loved so strongly. Investigations arise immediately following the incident, while Romero puts every part of himself into proving that Norman is responsible for murdering Norma.

Season four may have come to a dramatic end, but don't worry, Bates fans! The fifth and final season of the series is on its way and is expected to begin in March of next year. Until then, we can binge watch all of the romance, drama, and tragedy again and again. Bring on the popcorn!