Welcome to College

Welcome to College

An open letter to college freshman.

17
Welcome to College
Marlo Provorse

Dear University Freshman,

Likely, this first week, you'll get more advice than you thought was possible. You'll ask a simple question about where the best places to eat on campus and you'll get an answer, but you'll also get advice on when to eat, where to eat off of campus and you might even get a bonus story about "my first meal on campus was...and that's where I met my best friend named..."

So get ready for loads of advice to come flying your way. And even if it seems to be too much and it's incredibly overwhelming, take everything with a grain of salt. Don't ignore the advice you are hearing, but also realize that every person's experience in college is different.

That all being said, I am here to be one more voice of guidance who will attempt to prepare you for your first year of college. I will help you confront your fears, your peers and get ready to switch your gears.

First off, everyone is right, college is a completely new experience. You have the chance to completely reinvent your self or differently represent your self. But don't change into someone new just because it's college. I started my freshman year thinking I could totally change who I was from a semi-awkward, overly talkative student often dubbed as 'weird' into a super smooth, cool person who everyone loved. But those quirks that I had developed all through my younger years were not going away. So don't plan on changing who you are, instead focus on accepting who you are. I am still the same person I was two years ago, but I embraced my awkwardness, I allow myself to speak my mind and even though it happens rarely now, if I do get called weird, I accept that as a compliment. People at college don't know the awkwardness it took to blossom into yourself, they just see you from right there as you continue to grow for the next four years of your life. People aren't my friends in college because I'm cool, they are my friends because both sides accepts the other as-is. Now, If someone in college does tell you to change, drop them. You are you and nothing is going to change that (unless you're mean, maybe you should work on that.)

Don't be afraid to do totally freshman things like carry around a lanyard or ask for directions. Even if it seems suuuuper lame to ask for help, you've gotta realize, everyone on your campus has been a freshman in college. They have all done embarrassing things like sat through a whole class before realizing it was the wrong one or gotten locked out of their room, but they also made it through those situations by asking for help or recognizing their mistakes. Take every failure you have as a lesson because, no matter how cliché that sounds, more often than not, clichés are developed from the utter truths of life. Embrace your freshman self because those mistakes are often more widely accepted than asking a building name in Senior year.

It's okay to sit alone at breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. Seriously, it's totally fine. Everyone has a different schedule and sitting alone or eating super quickly is not seen as weird. I did that for many a meal and it was great. How many people you sit with at meals no longer defines how many friends you have like it did in high school. However, if you really are that nervous about eating alone, everyone in college is looking for new people to meet, so feel totally free to sit with anyone you want. Who knows, that group that you ask to sit with today might become some of your closest friends tomorrow.

Partying isn't everything. In fact, if you would rather stay in and read a book or go on an adventure around your college town, do that. Do not feel pressure to go to college parties because it's the "norm." Remember, you pay for your college classes, so each time you miss an 8am because you were hungover means you lost a lot more money than a wild night out is worth. Falling down that path can literally ruin your college life whether it be because you ended up failing class upon class or you got caught and get your violation put on your record. Sure, college is a great time to meet new people and go out with them, but there are alternatives. (or go out and party, it's up to you and only you.)

It isn't weird to ask for someone's number after an interesting conversation or a short conversation or a quick introduction. Everyone is trying to meet as many people on campus as possible and getting the digits is one of the most important ways to keep in touch with people round you who you think you might get along with. Follow up with someone you met, invite them to sit with you at dinner some night or go grab coffee at the local coffee shop. It isn't weird, it's what everyone is waiting for.

Changing friend groups your first year is alright. Even if it is hard or it's scary to have to redo the search for friends, if your relationships aren't healthy, it's okay to let go. Even if it means you need to go at college solo for a little while, friends will always pop up if you allow them the opportunity. Bottom line is, don't be afraid to get rid of toxic relationships.

That definitely doesn't cover it all, and there is so much more to learn, but you'll get the hang of it. Being a college freshman is all about figuring it out, so let yourself grow and you'll be comfortable in no time.

Sincerely yours,

A second-year college student who is still trying to figure it all out.